• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Elizabeth Jane King & James Andrew Capper

Sparrow

Help needed please to find more about Elizabeth Jane King born in Gloucestershire about 1850 and her husband James Andrew Capper.
I have found a birth in bmd for Elizabeth in 1851 Clifton in Gloucestershire perhaps this is her. She married James in 1867, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. But I haven't managed to find a birth for him. They had two children Norah born 1871 and Ernest abt. 1873 both Cheltenham.

Thank you,
Lizzy

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Lizzy looks like James died in 1873 in Gloucs (FreeBMD) his age was given as 38 bn 1835, much older than Eliza. She is with her 2nd hubby in 1891 aged 41 with Ernest Capper 18 stepson of James Wilkins. I just thought the year of James' birth could be of interest.
Cheers
Ozn
Hi again Lizzy a tree on Anc has James who died aged 38, totally different spouse and kids so ignore my previous info, soz...

stockpot

Valued Member
Eliza Capper, wid, 28, married James Wilkins, 33, Cheltenham April 16 1876.
Gives her father as James Capper but this seems to be confusing her father with her late husband.

SEE NEXT POST , WHAT FOLLOWS IS NOT CORRECT FAMILY

28 in 1876 puts her birth more like 1848. In the 1861 census there is only one Elizabeth J King born Cheltenham, she is aged 13, i.e. b~ 1848. With her Parents Samuel 39 (a tailor) and Mary Ann 41. in Cheltenham.

There is a bapt at Cheltenham for this child :-
29 Aug 1847, Jane Elizabeth King (sic) d.o. Samuel & Mary Ann ( a tailor)

she was also registered as Jane Elizabeth Q2 1847 but by 1861 was Elizabeth Jane

Elaine

Last edited:

stockpot

Valued Member
Oh no, looks like the whole thing needs a rethink.
James Capper & Elizabeth Jane King did NOT marry each other. They are on the same page of the register but marrying other people:-

St Peter Cheltenham
Dec 5 1867
Samuel George Alexander, 21, tailor, s.o. William Alexander, weaver
Elizabeth Jane King, 20, d.o. Samuel King, tailor

Dec 10 1867
James Capper, 74, Wid. Lab. s.o. Wm Capper
Sarah Burns, 67, Wid. d.o. Ross Kentish

The two consecutive weddings were different dates so unlikely that names have been inadvertently switched.

Who are you interested in in 1891, Ernest Capper or Norah Parslow ? It isn't even absolutely certain that Norah & Ernest are brother & sister without their bapts.(though they probably are but what parents?)

A difficult one!
Elaine

stockpot

Valued Member
Eliza Capper married Henry Capper Q2 1870 Cheltenham.

This would explain how the widow Eliza Capper when marrying in 1876 says her father was James Capper.
(In 1851 in Cheltenham there is an Eliza Capper age 6mths with father James)

Henry & Eliza in Cheltenham 1871:-
Henry 24, Railway Stn Engine Driver b Lassington Glos,
Eliza 21 b Cheltenham.

I think Norah has given the name of her father as James at her marriage, meaning her stepfather who has brought her up. The vicar has assumed the same surname as the bride (I have seen this done before).

There was an Henry Capper age 26 died Gloucester Q4 1873. (Henry was a train driver so could easily have been at Gloucester.)

The Cheltenham Chronicle has an announcement :- born Feb 13 1873, 21 Elm St Cheltenham, to the wife of Mr Henry Capper, a son.
This fits with Ernest Capper b Q1 1873.

Hope this helps!
Elaine

Last edited:

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
This was the only baptism I found for Lassington:

Name: Earnest Capper
Baptism Date: 13 Sep 1873
Parish: Lassington, Gloucestershire, England
Parish as it Appears: Lassington
Father: Charles Capper
Mother: Jane Capper
Register Type: Parish Registers

Looks like his parents weren't Henry and Eliza

Amanda

Amanda

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
This was the only baptism I found with father Henry:

Name: Albert Henry Capper
Baptism Date: 10 Mar 1872
Parish: Cheltenham, St Peter, Gloucestershire, England
Parish as it Appears: Cheltenham, St Peter
Father: Henry Capper
Mother: Sarah Ann Capper
Register Type: Parish Registers

But mother is Sarah Ann

Amanda

Sparrow

Thank you Elaine and Amanda. The information you've given me certainly helps. Given the baptisms that Amanda has found I am now a touch confused. I shall have to put everything down on paper to work in out in my mind. But at least I know now that Elizabeth Jane King was not connected to the family.

I'm interested in both Ernest and Norah Parslow nee Capper. She married into my own Parslow family also from Gloucestershire.

Thank you,
Lizzy

stockpot

Valued Member
1901 census Birmingham has:-
Ernest Capper, 28, warehouseman, b Cheltenham
Nellie, 23, b Birmingham
Nellie, 4, b Birmingham

12 Aug 1895 St Cuthbert Birmingham marriage:-
Ernest Henry Capper, 22, warehouseman, s.o. Henry Capper dec. Engine Driver
Ellen Cartmail, 18, d.o. George Carmail machine maker

(Nellie often used for Ellen or Elleanor)

This seems to be the Ernest who is son of Eliza Wilkins in 1891. Must be the Ernest b Feb 1873, son of Henry as per announcement in the Cheltenham newspaper.
No proof so far that he is brother of Norah Parslow, but at her marriage 16 Feb 1896 when she says father is James Andrew Capper she also says he was an engine driver, which is what Henry Capper was.
Personally I think she was only two when he died, never knew him & is not sure of his name so says James which is name of her stepfather and grandfather.
Elaine

Last edited: