• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Elizabeth Raven - Maiden Name

I'm a bit stuck on the branch of my family which has the interesting surname - Raven.

I have traced my 2nd great grandmother Amelia Clara Tayler on Ancestry as being the child of Charles Tayler and Emily Tayler née Raven, born in Chelmsford 1851-1854. I have checked GRO and possibly found Emily Jane Raven, born S Quarter 1853. Several other trees crossing also agree with Emily Raven, though it's late and I'm confusing myself now with sources!

Anyway, I'm a bit stuck with Emily Raven's mother's maiden name. I don't really have the corroborating evidence to conclude one name or another. Annoyingly, GRO gives her mother's maiden name as Raven also (could this be a transcription error on the web site? I don't mind buying the certificate, but it won't give me the information I'm looking for if it lists her married name).

First name is likely Elizabeth, possible surname Blyton, but I have zero evidence for that. There is another potential, Sarah Ansell, though that GRO is record is registered in Witham, but the census records all say Chelmsford as birthplace. The ages in the census and marriage dates are also confusing me a bit (by current reckoning, she could only have been 16 when married).

Any suggestions on how I might be able to gather more information on Emily and her mother?

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Is this the family in the 1871 census.?

Name: Charles Tayler
abt 1847
Where born: Shoreditch Middlesex England
Civil Parish: St Andrew Holborn
Eccl. parish: Trinity
Town: London
Registration district: Holborn
Sub-reg: St Andrew Eastern
ED, 1 - House sched num. 83 - Piece: 373. - Folio: 9. -Page Number: 12.

Charles Tayler 24, Occ. Grocers Porter.
Emily Tayler 20. b. Purley, Essex.
Amelia C Tayler 8/12. b.St Pancras.

Steve.:)

solidrock2

Loyal Member
"Annoyingly, GRO gives her mother's maiden name as Raven"
The GRO states her name as Emily Jane, what makes you think this is your Emily?
Emily Jane was baptised 12 Oct 1853 Chelmsford. Father William Raven. Mother Elizabeth.
The 1861 census Chelmsford maybe her but the birth date is a bit out...
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M744-W39
As the Elizabeth in the census gives her birth place as Maldon this maybe her marriage in 1843...
RAVEN Elizabeth Maldon 12219 RAVEN William Maldon 12219
Note that her names is Raven so the GRO giving mmn as Raven maybe correct.

Last edited:

solidrock2

Loyal Member
Last edited:
The only marriage for an Emily Jane Raven that I can find is 1883 Maldon, Essex which is probably the Emily Jane you found in the GRO and not the Emily who married Charles.

What we know so far..

TAYLER, AMELIA CLARA mmn RAVEN GRO Reference: 1870 S Quarter in PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 70

Emily Raven married Charles Thomas Tayler 1869 Holborn, London.

TAYLOR, CHARLES THOMAS mmn BREACH
GRO Reference: 1847 M Quarter in THE SHOREDITCH DISTRICT Volume 02 Page 463 Birth.

TAYLOR, CHARLES THOMAS 64
GRO Reference: 1911 S Quarter in ISLINGTON Volume 01B Page 226 Death.

TAYLER, EMILY 53
GRO Reference: 1903 S Quarter in HOLBORN Volume 01B Page 336 Death.

1871 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBDK-4P9
1881 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27S-9WP9
1891 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QWT2-62M ( Where is Charles ?)
1901 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X98C-8TF
1911 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWGM-KWN

Emily's death date confirms she was born about 1850/51 but cannot find her. Have you got the marriage cert. for Emily and Charles, if not it maybe a good idea to get it as it may give her fathers name.

I had a look into this again and the ages seem to map out better if you go for Emily Raven, daughter of William Raven and Sarah Ansell. It would mean she married at 19, not 16. Later census records also seem to corroborate better with the 1851 birth date than the 1854 birth date. I'll list some other evidence I found which may tie up, but it's a bit late to start going down the rabbit hole now! :D

I'll have a look and see if I found the marriage certificate, or if I have yet to buy it, too.

1871 census shows Amelia C Tayler as 7 months old. Her mother Emily Tayler is 20, meaning her birth year is approximately 1851.

1881 census shows Emily as 30.

1891 census says she is 42, which is slightly out, but it does suggest she consistently gave ages for a birth date 1851 or earlier.

Amelia's GRO record says her mother's maiden name is Raven.

Checking for Emily Raven on GRO +/- 2 years of 1851, there is Emily Jane in 1853 and Emily in 1850. Confusingly though, 1850 Emily was apparently born in Witham, though it is only 9-10 miles from Chelmsford.

There is a marriage registered between a Charles Thomas Tayler and Emily Raven in D quarter, 1869. Emily Jane would have been 16 here, which, though possible, seems less likely and doesn't tie up well enough with the later census containing Amelia. Indeed all the census records seem to point at 1851 or earlier. This is what is leading me to think I am looking at 1850 Emily.

(Other Emily Ravens were not born in Essex)

1871 census shows Amelia C Tayler as 7 months old. Her mother Emily Tayler is 20, meaning her birth year is approximately 1851.

1881 census shows Emily as 30.

1891 census says she is 42, which is slightly out, but it does suggest she consistently gave ages for a birth date 1851 or earlier.

Amelia's GRO record says her mother's maiden name is Raven.

Checking for Emily Raven on GRO +/- 2 years of 1851, there is Emily Jane in 1853 and Emily in 1850. Confusingly though, 1850 Emily was apparently born in Witham, though it is only 9-10 miles from Chelmsford.

There is a marriage registered between a Charles Thomas Tayler and Emily Raven in D quarter, 1869. Emily Jane would have been 16 here, which, though possible, seems less likely and doesn't tie up well enough with the later census containing Amelia. Indeed all the census records seem to point at 1851 or earlier. This is what is leading me to think I am looking at 1850 Emily.

(Other Emily Ravens were not born in Essex)
See reply #8.

There is a marriage for Emily Raven and Charles Thomas Tayler in 1869 in Holborn, London. Not sure why they would have got married there, but a lot of my ancestry ties up with London, so I wouldn't exclude it. It also fits well with the birth date of Amelia.

There is a marriage for Emily Raven and Charles Thomas Tayler in 1869 in Holborn, London. Not sure why they would have got married there, but a lot of my ancestry ties up with London, so I wouldn't exclude it. It also fits well with the birth date of Amelia.
I think you need to get a copy of this marriage cert, it may give Emily's fathers name.

horse

Loyal Member
I think you need to get a copy of this marriage cert, it may give Emily's fathers name.
Hope this helps, there is a marriage at saffron Hill, Camden with the above names..

Original has Emily's father as William. Occ = architect. Emily was a minor.

Geoff