• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

ellis island

hi
this is a fascinating site, I knew that my gran and grandad went to america for a few years, grandad to work in a paper mill. When I hears about EI site I thought I would have a look, I found my grandfathers details as sailing in 1905, but cannot find my gran, they were in their mid twenties, I assumed they would have gone together, I tried grans maiden name just in case, gran gave birth to a girl over there, then were home to give birth to my mum in 1908/9
Is this when conspirecy creeps in? not that I am bothered, gran was a wonderfull person who I idolised, I am never the less curious. Any ideas as to how I can dig a bit further?

IanD

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ian,

It could be that she travelled at a later date perhaps your grandfather found a job then sent for her. She may not have gone through Ellis Island.

If you would like to post her name, will see if I can find her on another passenger list.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Here she is:-

Immigration border crossing from Canada to USA
port of arrival Montreal Quebec
Quebec manifest 1906

Cicila Rennie
age 32
married
last Residence Edingburgh
destination -----------Falls
whether going to join a relative what relationship
husband Hugh Rennie

Cannot make out all the writing if you would like me to send you a copy please pm with your email.

Hi julia

Well done, if this is gran, and there are some coincidences there, eg they went to Rumford falls which was a papermaking town, Grandad was identified on the ships manifest as a papermaker from Fife. This will be quite a revelation, gran never mentioned canada, I always thought she sailed on the lussitania yearor so before it was torpedoed in 1917.

I would love to see a copy

many thanks and be intouch

Ian