• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Elsie May Jones

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi

I am about to give up and think that Elsie was adopted or born out of wedlock or something as she has no birth certificate..
She might have even been born out of wedlock and registered under her mother's maiden name. Her mother may have then married a Jones and Elsie May may have taken on his surname. Not unusual for a child to take on a step father's surname without paperwork involved back then.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
If grandad had an aunt Amy then ...

He did say that she had cousins called Edith Eric and John Ormrod if this helps
Amy Elizabeth junior born 1907 should be included as a cousin ??

ORMROD, AMY ELIZABETH - INGHAM
GRO Reference: 1907 M Quarter in CHORLTON Volume 08C Page 871

ORMROD, WINIFRED BEATRICE - INGHAM
GRO Reference: 1908 M Quarter in CHORLTON Volume 08C Page 924

ORMROD, EDITH MARJORIE - INGHAM
GRO Reference: 1915 D Quarter in CHORLTON Volume 08C Page 1238

Can't see a birth for John or Eric. ?? Ok could be more than one Ormrod family. Cousins are not all siblings.

If Amy Elizabeth (1907) father John had brothers then they could have had sons Eric and John who would be cousins.

Can be solved IF we can find the right Elsie in 1911.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Oh well these are ruled out.

INGHAM, CLARA - INGHAM
GRO Reference: 1904 J Quarter in BLACKBURN Volume 08E Page 365

INGHAM, ELSIE - INGHAM
GRO Reference: 1910 J Quarter in BLACKBURN Volume 08E Page 386

and others all found in 1911.

So that's not the right birth for Elsie.

If Elsie's mother was unmarried the mmn would be blank. But you need the surname to enter in GRO.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Thank you for that info but I already have it.

If you want another mystery apparantly my grandad said that Elsie mays mother married Amy Elizabeth Juniors mother but amy's mother who is amy senior died after the 1911 census in september so we know that wasn't true.

lol it's a mystery this one
Hi,

Perhaps this is the marriage.

20 May 1911
Chorlton on Medlock

Reuben Ormrod ( brother of John Ormrod) married Maggie Ingram (sister of Amy Elizabeth Ormrod nee Ingham)
Grooms father John Ormrod
Brides father Edward Ormrod

Amy Elizabeth Ormrod nee Ingham mother Jane Ann remarried to a Fred Bostock in 1898. So there is an extended family. Still cant find any connection to Elsie.

Have you any information about Elsies mother?.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi,

I’ve drawn a blank on Elsie. The only other suggestion is to get in touch with the General Register Office in the Uk (www.gro.gov.uk). There is an email address. Explain the situation, and perhaps they might do a more extensive search. Dont know what it would cost. (If they include that sort of service). Or you could apply for a birth certificate and they will do a search I think 3 years either side of the year of birth. Cost £9.25. If the right certificate isnt found there is a part refund.

Last edited:
Jones Arthur W. Derby 8b1028
I recently found in 1902 that a Arthur Jones married a Alice Maud Jones and in 1914 John Ormrod married a Alice Maud Jones ORMROD John Jones W. Derby 8b385
now my grandad had said that his Aunty Amy's Mother married Elsie May father but Amy's mother also named Amy Elizabeth died in 1911. So I am wondering whether John Ormrod may have married Elsie's Mother Confusing lol I know. I do have the certificate for ormrod and jones. Is there a way to find out if this Alice Maud Jones is the same person that was married to Arthur Jones in 1902 or should I order the Certificate as well. Maybe someone can help :)

Jones Arthur W. Derby 8b1028
I recently found in 1902 that a Arthur Jones married a Alice Maud Jones and in 1914 John Ormrod married a Alice Maud Jones ORMROD John Jones W. Derby 8b385
now my grandad had said that his Aunty Amy's Mother married Elsie May father but Amy's mother also named Amy Elizabeth died in 1911. So I am wondering whether John Ormrod may have married Elsie's Mother Confusing lol I know. I do have the certificate for ormrod and jones. Is there a way to find out if this Alice Maud Jones is the same person that was married to Arthur Jones in 1902 or should I order the Certificate as well. Maybe someone can help :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Births 10
E Genealogy Beginners Help 1
DaveHam9 Deaths 2
DaveHam9 Deaths 3
DaveHam9 Deaths 8
DaveHam9 Births 7