• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

elusive relative

paf

Hi,

I'm searching for information on my very elusive great grandfather John Joseph Fellowes I know he was born in 1888 but I don't know where, I know he married Sarah alice morris in Hunslet in 1912 and he died in leeds 26-12 1939.

he doesn't seem to appear on the 1901 census or the BMD index and since i've moved to oz the trail is ever colder

can anyone help??

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Paf,

Have you his marriage certificate is not here are the details if you want to purchase it from the link below.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Sarah A. Morris spouse Fellowes year 1912 dist Hunslet vol 9b page 1105.

I had a look on the 1891 census and the 1901 there are some John Fellowes/Fellows. If you have the fathers name which will be on the marriage cert, then hopefully they will be together on the census.

Julie

paf

the plot thickens his fathers name is Thomas and my family is adamant he was born in leeds (probably hunslet) i can't find anything on 1901 census that would tie in so any further help would be well appreciated

thanks
Paul

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
hi Paul,

No luck on the 1901 census or the 1891, been going round in circles. Have tried Fellowes/Fellows, Fell****** wildcard, Thomas without surname born Leeds, Hunslet, without place of birth, what about Sheffield?, even John is hard to find did you find him on the 1901 census?.

Julie

paf

I couldn't find him on the 1901 census and he seems to be missing from free bdm too, suppose i just have to hope that when 1911 becomes available he'll be on that!!

thanks

Paul

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Paul,

Just a thought, did Johns parents ever marry? or they may have married after he was born and perhaps he had his mothers surname?. Had a look on the death index but couldnt find John with the info you gave on your thread.

Julie

paf

the date of death was something of a memory glitch on my part it was infact 1935 and i do have the death cert for that, my dad sent some papers the other day with lists of john's siblings and they don't seem to appear on the census either or in the bmd index, i'm absoloutely stumped at the moment and particulary frustrated as i've just managed to trace 3 generations of my wifes family in about 30 mins!!