• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Emma Trodd, Weston, St Mary's Extra

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I have read and followed this thread and I find it very interesting. Imagine how any new Trodd researchers coming on here would be pleased with this long thread.

Ben

Hi,

as i'm new to this site i'm not sure if i'm writing on the right post or not.:confused: When I searched for William and Jane Trodd on LDS it said that they were from Hursley, Wincester. I have just searched for John & Martha's children on LDS. It suggested that three of them were born in Woolston or Hursley. Could this suggest that John did come from Hursley and that maybe they were visiting William & Jane when the children were born?

Clare

Edward

Valued Member
Hi Ed -
We also have some information about the Florinda, the boat that George Pike Cozens skippered and Auntie Flo was named after. She was a yawl built in 1873 in Portsmouth, was altered in 1911 from a Yawl to a Ketch and became a pretty fast racing yacht. Last records were in 1950. My dad has a painting of her.

Best
Caroline
Found this link to a photo of a model of the Yawl Florinda.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explore/object.cfm?ID=SLR1055

Also this print

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/prints/viewPrint.cfm?ID=PAD6593

Both in the National Maritime Museum.

It has this description

‘Florinda’ was built for Mr William Jessop by Camper and Nicholson at Gosport in 1873. Registered at 135 tons, it measured 88.5 feet in length and 19 feet across the beam and begun its impressive career by winning six 1st and five 2nd prizes in its first season. In 1877 it secured nine prizes worth £553 and did even better in 1878, with ten 1st's and two 2nd's worth £736 as well as winning the Nore to Dover race that same year.

Also found this description of the Yacht

Florinda was another magnificent yawl and she was built for Mr. William Jessop by Camper & Nicholson at Gosport in 1873. Registered at 135 tons, she measured 881/2 feet in length with a 19 foot beam and had begun her impressive career by winning six 1st and five 2nd prizes in her first season. In 1877 she secured nine prizes worth £553 and did even better in 1878, with ten 1st and two 2nd prizes worth £736 to her credit as well as winning the Nore to Dover race the same year. After a perfectly creditable season in 1879, she then won a splendid eight 1st and six 2nd prizes in 1880 and entered 1881, like Latona, at the top of her form. Of the six starters for the 1881 Commodore's Cup, the finishing times for the first three were as follows:- * Enchantress 4 hours, 21 minutes, 30 seconds. * Latona 4 hours, 23 minutes, 52 seconds. * Florinda 4 hours, 28 minutes, 2 seconds. Once adjusted for time allowances, the winner was declared to be Florinda, by 55 seconds, from Latona, with Enchantress taking the schooner prize.

:D

It is truly amazing where this family history takes you!

maggie s

Hi Ed, I'll bet your pleased with yourself for finding that information. :biggrin: It's surprising at the amount of records and information out there. It's just a case of knowing where to look. Are you going to buy a print?

Edward

Valued Member
It is always good to learn more about your relatives than the dates etc.

Having other information and photographs, pictures and information about what they did makes them into much more real people.

I will have to consider if I should get a print of the Florinda It would be an interesting thing to have.

Thanks

Ed

Hi Caroline,

I would Love to see a Picture of the Yacht My Parents have some Cutlery with Florinda engraved on it which is said to have come from the Yacht.......
Thanks

Ed
Hi Edward and others on this thread.

See attached pictures - I have finally got a photo of the painting that we have of the Florinda - also I found that we had a book published in 1894 with plans of her too.

We also have some of the cutlery and a teapot from the Florinda!

Caroline

Attachments

Edward

Valued Member
Hi Caroline,

Thanks for posting the picture and plans of Florinda great to see the picture of the boat having found part of the history of the boat it is good to see it and the copies of the plans.

I will have to find out more about it the more you know the easier it is to find additional information.

Thanks

Ed

Edward

Valued Member
Hi,

This is a photo of the sampler which Emma Trodd made when she was at school in Weston.

Emma was the wife of George Pike Cozens Skipper of the Florinda.

Hope that you enjoy seeing the sampler.

Thanks

Ed

Attachments

Hammy

I'm been busy over the past few weeks so haven't had the time to post on this forum.

Edward, I am so jealous. I'd love to have a family sampler like that.

How lovely to see a picture of the Florinda.

I had a very quick look at the indexes of Hound parish registers. There are several TRODD baptisms but none around the time that John TRODD would have been born. I am finding him very frustrating. :mad:

Hi Hammy,

I new to this site but I have married into this long line of Trodds. I have got back to John Trodd and got stuck. It was suggested earlier that his parents may have been a William Trodd (born 1743 and Jane Trodd. According to LDS they were from Hursley. They had a John born in 1763. I then searched for John and Martha's children. LDS stated that most of his children were born in Weston but one or two were born in either Weston or Hursley(same as William & Jane). As I say i'm new here and I can't back this up, but could there be a link between John and William and Jane?

:confused:

Hammy

Hi Clare,
Pleased to see yet another TRODD researcher on this thread.

I think we looked at the Hursley TRODDS earlier in this thread (there's an awful lot of info here :eek: ) and decided they were another family.

John says he was not born in Hampshire on the 1841 census. While this info could be incorrect, everything else on the census entry is correct including Martha's exact age (no rounding).

Hi Hammy,

I new to this site but I have married into this long line of Trodds. I have got back to John Trodd and got stuck. It was suggested earlier that his parents may have been a William Trodd (born 1743 and Jane Trodd. According to LDS they were from Hursley. They had a John born in 1763. I then searched for John and Martha's children. LDS stated that most of his children were born in Weston but one or two were born in either Weston or Hursley(same as William & Jane). As I say i'm new here and I can't back this up, but could there be a link between John and William and Jane?

:confused:

Last edited:

Hammy

I've been trying to search The Gazette for more entries for Richard TRODD but the print is too poor for the software to recognise the characters. :(

I feel that Richard is a possible candidate to be John's father - if I could find out that he was in prison when John was born, I could eliminate him.

Last edited:

gemmas' pal

Hello Ed

I've just now been able to look at Emma's Sampler and am bowled over by it!

It is so neat and complex for a nine year old. Taking into consideration the lighting available at the time it is extraordinary work. It certainly helps in visualising Emma as a person rather than just words on paper!

I've seen several V & A Museum Magazines which were dedicated to these 1800s Samplers and don't remember any featuring such fine work by a nine year old. V & A might be interested in properly recording it for you.

It's been a while since I've carried on with Trodd research as I've been looking into other family folk. Davies and Newman in particular and they are certainly keeping me busy!

Have found the following though and apologies for not having tidied it up:

1881 Census: Residents of Chertsey Union Workhouse, Chertsey, Surrey
Annie TRODD 7 F Inmate Daur Scholars Oatlands Park Weybridge
John TRODD U 12 M Inmate Scholar Surbiton, Surrey
Priscilla TRODD M 37 F Inmate Charwoman Midhurst, Sussex

Parish Registers & Other Records
Copyright © 2007 Linda & Tony Knight
All Rights Reserved
MARRIAGES
PORTSEA, PORTSMOUTH & SOUTHSEA
page 160 no 319 September 15 1853 Henry TRODD, 20, bachelor, Seaman RN, Buckland Portsea & Emily H? 32, spinster, -, Buckland Portsea, fathers John TRODD, Gardener & Thomas H?, Labourer, in the presence of George SILVESTER & ? SILVESTER
Page 2 no 3 Apr 28 1923 Samuel George TRODD 40 bachelor Joiner 70 Warren Avenue & Jessie SHARDLOW 23 spinster 28 Arundel Street married after banns both signed fathers Samuel TRODD Dockyard Shipwright & Robert SHARDLOW (Deceased) RMLI in the presence of Geo YOUNG & Lilian May SHARDLOW
Page 30 no 88 James DOYLE bachelor & Ann TRODD spinster both of this Parish were married in this church by licence 10 June 1783 groom signed & X bride made her mark in the presence of Wm SMITH & Richd GUDGE

BerksFHS
Birth Briefs Index for surnames To-Tt
1320 TRODD, Elizabeth m 1870 , d 1925
3935 post TRODD, John b 1815 , m 1837 HAM, d 1887 HAM, bur 1887 HAM
1320 TRODD, William m 1836
3935 post TRODD, William b 1843 HAM, m 1870 SRY

Hope at least some is of interest :)

GP

Hi,

This is a photo of the sampler which Emma Trodd made when she was at school in Weston.

Emma was the wife of George Pike Cozens Skipper of the Florinda.

Hope that you enjoy seeing the sampler.

Thanks

Ed

gemmas' pal

Hello! :'(

Is there anybody there? :(

Very much hope that you are all okay and still growing those trees. I'm thinking I've lost you all to 1911 or maybe you've all dived into another thread!

Look forward to your being here again soon!

GP

Edward

Valued Member
Hi GP,

I have been very busy recently and not done much in the way of Family History but have been keeping a eye on the site to see if any thing of interest has been posted.

I am away in Cornwall next week but will take the laptop with me so I will still look at the site occasionally we will be cat sitting for my Parents inlaw so will still have access to an internet connection.

I am looking forward to getting away from work for a while it has been realy busy for the past few months.

It will be really good to be able to relax and walk along the Cornish cliffs for the week.:D

Thanks

Ed