• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Emma Trodd, Weston, St Mary's Extra

Hi

Thanks for this I am trying to fit this information into my Family tree!

Do you think that this is John Trodd (born 1804) son of John and Martha this would appear to fit with the information but I can't see a definitive link. in the information so far!

Many Thanks

Ed

Hello Folks!

Thanks for all that information GP. I believe Jane Gibbons was the daughter of Mary Trodd by her first husband.:)

Marriage:
TRODD John
GIBBONS Mary (widow)
31 Oct 1831 St Mary Southampton

ms

Thanks Maggie :)

I did try and check Jane out but there are quite a few Jane Gibbons with none really tallying. There was a Jane as a Servant who seemed likely to be the right one but I will take another look, especially as this searching was done before I had your information.

GP

Hello folks!

Simply here this time to wish all you Trodd chasers a VERY SPECIAL AND VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS and a truly good NEW YEAR! :D

Also thanking you all for the help and information proffered through the year which has been quite phenominal! Lots of gaps have been filled and where I thought information had been drying up; since joining FHUK you've all proved me completely wrong! It's wonderful!

Have a great time folks, I look forward to meeting you all again in the New Year!

GP :)

Hi

I have had a very good Christmas even managed to do some Family History which I don't appear to have managed much recently. Not found any information about the Trodd family recently. The Cozens family also from Weston has been the information that I have managed to put together recently.

They keep getting married to Parkers who are also living in Weston but I havn't managed to fit the Parker tree together My Grand Mother was a Parker.

Hope that you all have a great New Year

All the best for 2009.

Ed

Hello Ed,

I can't imagine who's going to have the hardest time during 2009; you with Cozens and Parkers or me with Roberts and Davies! It's great that there are so many good folk on FHUK ready to break down the brickwalls we're both bound to have! :eek:

Definately wishing you Good Luck with your research during the New Year, apart from which, hope it's a really happy year for you and yours!

GP :)

I've just spent a long weekend in Southampton. I visited the archives and found some early TRODDS & DAGWELLS but I'm not sure they help us in our research at the moment (will post details when I've had time to sort them out).

I also spent a very cold morning rooting around St Mary Extra Cemetery looking for TRODD and DAGWELL graves. Time has not been kind to many of the graves, they are badly worn or broken. Sad to say, I didn't find a single TRODD or DAGWELL grave. :(

Hi Hammy,

I have only looked around the grave yard at Weston, I need to go again and have another look but there are lots of graves of my relatives there. Emma's grave is there Emma Cozens Nee Trodd, but I don't appear to have a photo of it. Only of George Pike Cozens her husband. The church was only opened in 1850 so does not have any early graves there.

I look forward to hearing about the other information you have collected.

Thanks

Ed

St Mary Extra
baptisms
7 Jan 1729 ------------ of Richard & Sarah TRODD
27 Jan 1730 John son of Richard TROD & Sarah

no DAGWELLS

marriages
21 Nov 1739 James STOKES to Ann TRODD of Portsmouth

baptisms
2 Nov 1733 William son of Richard & Sarah
1 Apr 1737 Mary daughter of Richard & Sarah
24 Apr 1739 Sarrah daughter of Richard & Sarah

There is a note to say
'After the fire destroyed the Registers of St Mary's, the Rector collected together what information he could discover. The entries for St Mary Extra up to 1699 were taken from South Stoneham Register and from 1700 were from a paper book of Mr Andrews, minister of Jesus Chapel.'

In 1754/5 there were deaths from smallpox.

Last edited:
I have a list covering 3 pages, of Trodds buried in Southampton Corporation Cemetaries between 1850-2003. They included: Hill Lane (Old), Hollybrook, South Stoneham & St Marys Extra. The information given is Date of Burial, Grave & Section number, Age at death & Address.
If anyone would like me to 'look for' any particular person, please let me know.

maggie s

St Mary's, Southampton
baptisms
19 Jun 1731 Richard son of Richard & Sarah TROD (p) received 29 Jun

marriages
no TRODS or DAGWELS
19 May 1754 William COZENS to Martha THICKS widow

burials
22 Mar 1739 Sarah, infant daughter of Richard & Sarah TROD of Itchin

St Michael's, Southampton
marriages
22 Oct 1749 John LANCASTER of South Stoneham to Sarah TRODD of Hound (by licence)
24 Oct 1731 Robert COWDERY of Winton to Mary TROD of Winton
26 Mar 1649 John GODMAN to Sarah TRODDE

burials
28 Feb 1742 William DAGWELL - soldier

South Stoneham
baptisms
26 Feb 1740 Elizabeth natural daughter of ------ DAGWELL (father unknown)

marriages
28 Feb 1687 Thomas TROD to Joane HOLT
13 Nov 1690 John TROOD to Joane BODYCOATE
30 Nov 1690 Stephen TROD of Upham to Jane STUBBINGTON
6 Jul 1697 James DAGWELL to Frances MAY
28 May 1748 John TRODD to Elizabeth SMITH both of South Stoneham by banns
21 Jun 1792 John MOODY (labourer) to Fanny DAGWELL

Burials
20 Mar 1728 David TROD
30 Oct 1731 Anne TROD
7 Nov 1740 Jane TROD
8 Mar 1740 Elizabeth DAGWELL

Last edited:
All Saints
marriages
31 Mar 1657 Henry MERRIFIELD to Alse TROD (both of Roods)

burials
19 Oct 1657 .......em TRODE
18 Feb 1660 .....beth wife of Thomas TROOD

no DAGWELLS

The document about the fishing nets is interesting:

To the High Constables & Tithingmen
whom it may concern
Whereas information hath been made unto us his majesties justices of the peace that the several persons whose names are here underwritten have used at sea trawl nets or sea nets which have a mesh of less than three inches & half from knot to knot in order to destroy the small ffish, these are therefore required you & every of you that you do upon sight hereof deliver up your said netts into the hands of the said High Constables or such as shall be by them appointed in order to their being publicly burnt. Which if any of them shall refuse so to do you are then to sumon them to appear before us at the George Inn in Newport in the Isle of Wight on Monday the fifth day of October next at ten of the clock in the fforenoon to show cainse? if they can why their nets should not be adjudged to be forfeited & the penalty of twenty pounds to be levied for every offense, and for want of payment or distress to be imprisioned for twelve months pursuant to the status in that case made & provided Given under our hands & Seals this 26 Day of September Annoqs Dni 1730
John Trod & others of Itchin Ferry

£20 was a lot of money then.:eek:
The DAGWELLS originated from the Isle of Wight although we're still no nearer tracing ours.:(
Nor are we any nearer finding the birth of John TRODD who married Patty DAGWELL despite there being TRODS in Itchen Ferry before John's birth.:confused:

Hi

I was looking up Emma Cozens in my family tree and came across this entry.

Marriages Sep 1901 (>99%)
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Cole George Robert S. Stoneham 2c 167
COZENS Emma Florinda S. Stoneham 2c 167
Moody Dan Christian S. Stoneham 2c 167
TRODD Henrietta S. Stoneham 2c 167

Showing Emma's Marriage to Dan Moody and realised that that meant

Henrietta Trodd Married George Cole I don't have any further information but thought that it was worth sharing.

Ed

Hello!

So much new information! :biggrin:

I'm adding some Dagwells but not sure if it's of help. There are many more on Ancestry so if you have brickwalls let me know!

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906
Name: Ann Dagwell
Christening Date: 10 Aug 1760
Christening Place: Southwick, Hants.
Father's Name: Thomas Dagwell

Name: Jane Dagwell
Father: Thomas Dagwell
Baptism: 12 Mar 1772 - Southwick, Hants.

Name: Mary Dagwell
Father: Thomas Dagwell
Baptism: 29 Jan 1758 - Southwick, Hants.

Name: Sarah Dagwell
Father: Joseph Dagwell
Baptism: 8 Oct 1815 - Newchurch, Hants.

1861 England Census
Name: Sarah Dagwell Age: 71 born: c1790
Where born: Itchen, St Mary Extra, Hants.
Registration district: South Stoneham, St Mary Extra, Hants.
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household schedule number: 70

1901 England Census
Registration district: Southampton
ED, institution, or vessel: 35
Household schedule number: 48
William Dagwell 55
Ellen Dagwell 45 born: Southampton St Mary
Percy Dagwell 19
Maud Dagwell 18
Ada Dagwell 15
Arthur Dixon 36

1861 England Census
ED, institution, or vessel: 22
Household schedule number: 280
Joseph H Dagwell 29 Seaman born in Itchen Ferry
Martha E Dagwell 28 born in Itchen Ferry
Charles E Dagwell 6Mo born in Southampton

1851 England Census
ED, institution, or vessel: 1a
Household schedule number: 45
Sarah Dagwell 62 Shop Keeper born in Itchen Ferry
Elizabeth Dagwell 27 Char Woman born in Itchen Ferry

1851 England Census
ED, institution, or vessel: 1b
Household schedule number: 35
Weston Grove Lodge
Thomas Dagwell 78 Chelsea Pensioner born in St Mary Extra
Lan (or Lara) Dagwell 61 born in Hound, Hants.

1901 England Census
ED, institution, or vessel: 35
Household schedule number: 48
William Dagwell 55 Journeyman Butcher born Portsmouth
Ellen Dagwell 45 born St Mary Southampton
Percy Dagwell 19 born Ryde
Maud Dagwell 18 Domestic Housemaid born Ryde
Ada Dagwell 15 Southampton
Arthur Dixon 36 Seaman Lodger

1841 England Census
Joseph Dagwell 50 Fisherman
Sarah Dagwell 50
Sarah Dagwell 25
Epharem Dagwell 14
John Dagwell 12
Henry Dagwell 10 born: Mainsbridge (Upper Half), St Mary Extra, Hants.

1841 England Census
Weston Grove Lodge
Thomas Dagwell 65 Agricultural Labourer
Lucy Dagwell 50 born: Mainsbridge (Upper Half), St Mary Extra, Hants.
(also : Richard Marshal aged 3; no indication as to relationship)

Hope it helps! :)

GP

I have a list covering 3 pages, of Trodds buried in Southampton Corporation Cemetaries between 1850-2003. They included: Hill Lane (Old), Hollybrook, South Stoneham & St Marys Extra. The information given is Date of Burial, Grave & Section number, Age at death & Address.
If anyone would like me to 'look for' any particular person, please let me know.

maggie s

Hello Maggie,

Thank you for this information and offer. Trouble is, half the time it's not known who you want until you actually see the information so all information can be very good to have! Does that make sense somewhere? I do have the following Trodd who might be on your list:

ELIZABETH S TRODD born: 1879 – 1881 in WEST MEON.
Parents: John Trodd & Emma L unknown
Last Known Address: ST THOMAS S'HAMPTON
1901 census shows born in 1881 unmrrd & living in Southampton St Thomas and a Dressmaker.
1891 Census: lvng in 137 The Cross. West Meon.
Census do not agree on birth date!

That's all the information I have for Elizabeth but I would be happy to know where she was buried.

If she married it wont help of course! :(

Thanks Maggie, GP

Hello Hammy!

I'll have a look for those I of W Dagwells. Any others in particular? There are a few thousand of them so at least a few of 'yours' should be in the entries!

I'll also see if I can find anything on John & Patty. Was Patty bptzd Patty or was she maybe Patricia, Pauline or even Elizabeth?

Will let you know what I find, hopefully something of interest.

The information about the fishing nets is very interesting. I suppose it was a form of 'Green' thinking but most likely simply trying to save the future of fishing. Seems lessons are never learnt, or even carried on! £20 was a hefty fine, more than a years wage for many at that time. A harsh deterrent indeed, especially if any caught were then destined to prison, poverty and/or starvation. Spouse and kids would have been caught up in that sentence too.

Oh Dear! It all sounds too much like things will never change! :(

I'll go and look for those Dagwells!

GP

Back