• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

English television programs or organisations that can help find a lost relative?

Hi, My name is Tammy and I am writing on behalf of my friend Alysia.

Alysia has been searching for her Grandfathers brother who was placed in an Orphanage at a young age. He was released by Alysia's Grandfather and the two parted ways in their 20s with the Grandfather moving to Australia.

They were both from Lancashire and that is the last place the two saw each other. The Orpahage was knocked down and we were in contact with a woman with records for Orpanages in Lancashire, but she could not find any records for the Brother. We have contacted local councils, Libraries and some family tracing services, such as the Salvation Army, however no one can help us either because we are not in England or because they do not deal with living people.

A man did give us an address for a man with the same name in Lancashire, however he did not reply to Alysia's letter so we assume it was not him. Due to the constant dissapointments we have encountered and the fact that nobody seems to be able to help us, Alysia has given up and believes that she will never find him. I have now taken over the search and am desperate to find him for both her and her Father and Grandfather.

Alysia is getting married in October, so unfortunately can not afford to travel to England at the moment. If anyone knows of any family tracing television programs in England or any Organisation or people that can help us, I would be extremely grateful if you could share it with me.

Any help of advice is greatly Appreciated.

Tammy

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Tammy,

Have you tried the Lancashire Records Office to see if they have anything on him? Link below for you, could be worth a try if you havent already done so.

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/web/?siteid=4528&pageid=30539&e=e

You could also try the link below for marriages and see if he is in there. The freebmd isnt complete as yet but again could be worth a try. The below link also has births and deaths but again it isnt complete.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Maybe when another member from England logs in they might have some good advice for you to put you on the right track.

duckweed

Loyal Member
What part of Lancashire are we talking about? There could be a local paper you could advertise in, or an ex pats forum or local history society. I don't know of any particular organisation but a local paper might like the story and carry it, or a local radio station.

Hi
I don't know how you both feel about privacy, but if you provide us with names and dates, you never know. Posts made on this site often appear on Google so it is possible a wide number of people could see it.

there is a magazine called 'Who do you think you are' which is all about ancestors and a sister to the BBC television programme of the same name. They have staff who try and trace people from readers letters, so if you send an email to editorial@bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.com they may be able to help

dave

Last edited:
What part of Lancashire are we talking about? There could be a local paper you could advertise in, or an ex pats forum or local history society. I don't know of any particular organisation but a local paper might like the story and carry it, or a local radio station.
He is from Barton. Alysia did post in a Manchester newspaper but nobody replied. Do you have the name or website for some local radio stations?

could you post what information you have names ect and any other information you may have . sue
I'm more than happy to post names and other info I have, however I'm not sure if you are allowed to post information on living people on this forum. Does anybody know?

If it's not allowed and you would like to know the names you can contact me at ...

Email address removed for security reasons. After several moderated posts the PM (Personal Message) system will be available to you and you may place your email address in a PM.

Hi
I don't know how you both feel about privacy, but if you provide us with names and dates, you never know. Posts made on this site often appear on Google so it is possible a wide number of people could see it.

there is a magazine called 'Who do you think you are' which is all about ancestors and a sister to the BBC television programme of the same name. They have staff who try and trace people from readers letters, so if you send an email to editorial@bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.com they may be able to help

dave
Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for the email link. I will definitely write to them.

Tammy

duckweed

Loyal Member
You can tell us where in Lancashire and that would help us suggest which local paper etc. to suggest. Lancashire is a very big place with a big population so would help if we could narrow it down. Personal details can be pmd (private message) to someone just not posted on forum. I think WDYTYA may be a long shot.

You can tell us where in Lancashire and that would help us suggest which local paper etc. to suggest. Lancashire is a very big place with a big population so would help if we could narrow it down. Personal details can be pmd (private message) to someone just not posted on forum. I think WDYTYA may be a long shot.
He was from Salford, Lancashire

brentor boy

Valued Member
I believe that the Salvation Army is able to assist in tracing relatives when they recognise a strong personal imperative for doing so, but do not have the resource simply to satisfy an idle curiosity. Even when they have traced an individual they will not reveal any detailed information without that person's consent. You do not indicate any ages or time frame so it is not clear whether the person being sought may still be alive.

I believe that the Salvation Army is able to assist in tracing relatives when they recognise a strong personal imperative for doing so, but do not have the resource simply to satisfy an idle curiosity. Even when they have traced an individual they will not reveal any detailed information without that person's consent. You do not indicate any ages or time frame so it is not clear whether the person being sought may still be alive.
We tried the Salvation Army, however they wouldn't help because we are not from England. I will try the Salvation Army here in Australia, but I don't think they have a program set up to assist in tracing relatives.

The Man we are looking for was born in 1936 and we are quite sure that he is still alive. A man from Manchester (on another board) checked out death records and couldn't find him, but he did find the death record of his wife.