• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Enguell / Engwell

Enguell

I am searching for ancestors and decendants of George William ENGUELL (may have been spelt ENGWELL) b1862/1863 Essex England, d 1939. He married Harriet Hill (marriage date unknown) b1864, d 1931. My grandfather James Alfred b1899, d1960, was their second youngest son (from what I have been able to trace). The Enguell place of residence in 1901 was 13 Storey Street Woolwich. Other children include William George b1889 who moved to Australia in approx. 1904, Harry Albert B1892 (for whom I have no information), Elizabeth Harriet b1894 was also known as lizzie and is believed to have had a daughter lizzie, Ellen Elizabeth b1896 may have died in 1900 aged 3, there was also a Jack but I have been unable to find birth details for him (the only record I could find was for a Jack Edward ENGWELL b1903) I know that Jack was married to a Daisy and they had a child Jean born in 1939.
If anyone has any information they could pass on to me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou, Julie

Hi
I have carried out a lot of research into the Engwell family as George William's sister Alice Hephzibah was my husband's grandmother.

George was the son of James Engwell and Elisabeth Holden. Research indicates that he had 13 siblings.

James Engwell was born in the Essex Village of Stow Maries in 1832. He was baptised in the village church of St. Mary and St. Margaret on 27th January 1833 the son of Samuel Engwell and Elizabeth Turnage (also known as Hepzibah).

James's marriage to Elizabeth (known as Betsy) took place at the same church on 31/1/1858. James died in Prittlewell, Southend, Essex on12th January 1911.

Samuel Engwell born c 1801, the son of Richard Engwell and Elizabeth Turnage, appears to have fathered 10 children. He died in 1878. His death is registered in Maldon as was his wife's in 1871.

Richard Engwell was born c 1760 and died in 1828. His marriage to Elizabeth Taber took place on 25/12/1794 in Horndon-on-the Hill.

I hope this information helps. I do have some other information about George William's siblings so would be happy to provide it.

Regards

Wendy

Hi Wendy
My husband has a Mary Ann Pool(Poole), daughter of William Pool and Ann Enguell in his ancestry. She was born in Eastwood in Essex. I am having trouble getting information on Ann. Wondered if you had could help in this.
She would have been born c1797 in Eastwood.
Thanks

Maisie (in Australia)

Hi Maisie

Sorry I cannot help as the Poole and Engwell lines do not converge in my husband's family tree until 1900. It is possible that the Ann you mention could be the daughter of Richard Engwell and Elizabeth Slater. I know that they had a daughter of that name, among their 8 children, however she was baptised on 4th March 1789.

Sorry I cannot help further.

Regards
Wendy