• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Enlisting for the AIF from the UK

marjon

Does anyone know whether UK citizens could enlist for the Australian Infantry Forces in WWI ? I have found service records on the National Archives of Australia website for an Angelo Gay and his brother Leander Gay.
I’ve had a closer look at Angelo’s Attestation papers and notice that he joined the AIF in 1915 when he was 22 years old. Most of the “addresses” mentioned, ie where he was born, Leeds, Yorkshire, and his mother’s address in Balham, London, all point to the notion that he enlisted from the UK, but is that correct? Did he arrive in Australia before that ? and it’s interesting that nowhere on the form does it give where he was living at the time. He had been in a Reserve Unit – 3rd Battalion Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry before his joining the AIF, and a comment is made where that information is given, “6 months Emigration”. Maybe being part of a Reserve Unit, or a volunteer, allowed him to apply to emigrate to Australia?? Can anyone give more information on this chap? I have looked at the public trees on Ancestry.com by the way, but I'm trying to piece the jigsaw together without that information, which may be wrong. Thanks in anticipation :confused:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sikorae Help for Names or Surnames 4