• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Ephraim lindsey jn

rodeorider

Ephraim went aboard the surprize to Australia never made it, looking for his life before that in northumberland was imprisoned on the Stanislaw prison hulk committed from Newcastle assizes for stealing 6 pounds of mutton he i believe was a barber and spent some time as a seaman any help thanks. RR

emeltee

Loyal Member
You don't give a year of birth but the only Ephraim Lindsey I can find in Northumberland was baptised in Alnwisk 11 November 1739, father Ephraim. Further searches come up with an Ephraim Lindsey, a Barber in Alnwick taking on an apprentice 1758.

There is also a marriage for an Epharim Lindsay to a Jane Blyth 13 June 1732 in Eglingham and a burial 1788 in Alnwick for an Ephraim Lindsay, and in 1773 for Jane, wife of Ephraim snr (Barber).

Emeltee

rodeorider

Thanks emeltee you have the right person my 5 times great grandfather dob 1739 alnwick
i was looking for his life before he was convicted in 1788 then sent to the prison hulk Stanislaw awaiting transportation to Australia on the surprize packet second fleet 19 January 1790 destination Sidney harbor however he did not survive the trip i knew he was a barber he spent some time in the Chelsea pensioners after i believe fighting in the battle of York town (America) so the time slot is some where between 1739 and 1788 just a thought but as a barber would he also be a ships surgeon ? hard times must have be fallen him to steal 6 pounds of mutton to feed his family the reason for his conviction.

rodeorider

just re read your post the barber would have been his father my 6x time gg so that would still leave me needing Ephraim jn job etc unless his father apprenticed him any help is most gratefully accepted RR

Rodeorider. it was very nice to find a fellow Ephraim Lindsay Jnr (ELj) researcher/descendant. ELj was my 4th GG, so it seems that your line from him has been more active. Also, I suspect that you are descended from Margaret Richardson (nee Lindsay 1826-1854), who was Ephraim Lindsay (ELj) Jnr's grand daughter. I think this because some other Richardson descendants have mentioned someone with your given name in relation to a similar ELj inquiry. Interestingly, Margaret's father, William Lindsay (born 1775) also pursued a naval/military career (more successfully though), in which he doubled as a ship's assistant surgeon. It seems expertise as a barber was considered relevant to surgery skills in those days. I haven't been able to find out much about ELj's day to day life in Alnwick prior to his conviction, but he had at least 7 children with wife Catherine from 1766 to 1785. He was a barber by occupation and a foot soldier in the American War of Independence and in Canada. He was badly injured in battle suffering a dislocated shoulder. He was hospitalized and became a UK Chelsea Pensioner in 1784. I did find some accounts about his 1787 crime and I'm attaching a copy of one by historian Michael Flynn which is based on local Northumberland records. It suggests the petty nature of his crime and disproportionate severity of his punishment. I don't know with any certainty whether or not ELj survived the infamous 2nd Fleet 1789/90 voyage to actually live in NSW, because the Colonial records of the time (1790-1800) are extremely poor. I did read recently where he was shown to have died in 1799 but have not been able to corroborate this, myself.

By the way, I have an Australian ancestry of my own, which stems from ELj's grandson, James Lindsay (1828-1909) who was Margaret Richardson's (nee Lindsay) younger brother. My 2nd GG James emigrated to Queensland in 1865/6 and had no less a colourful life than ELj, very hard but more rewarding. In 1854 he married a woman from Ryehope, Sunderland, who was the widow of one of his fellow sailors. His second son, my GG, also James Lindsay, was born in Sunderland in 1856. Eph_p1.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Births 9