• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Eric Heffernan?? Adopted? Cant find anything

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Victoria,

Have you seen the Auckland Divorce file index in the New Zealand archives online for Gladys and Eric?

Burke, Gladys Emma (commonly known as Vincent, Emma Burke) v Burke, Eric Heffernan (commonly known as Vincent, Eric Heffernan Burke)
1952 1953 High Court Auckland, Department of Justice

It seems to me he used the name Burke when he married Gladys :confused: I dont think he was legally adopted by the Vincents but obviously used their name at some stage after been fostered/raised by them.

Just out of interest have you seen the marriage cert. for Eric and Gladys?

gibbo

Loyal Member
A Dudley Vincent you stated? Wonder if either of these could be the right one.

Death indexes New Zealand

Year of death and reg 1976/33470
Name Vincent Eric Dudley
Date of birth 27 September 1912

Year of death and reg 1996/38306
Name Vincent Dudley Ivan
Date of birth 18 September 1915

Dudley Ivan is in the same cemetery as Eric. Not that it means anything but ............. I cant even check his birth to see who the parents are cause the birth indexes dont go to 1915.

VINCENT, DUDLEY IVAN
Plot : PROTESTANT LAWN D Row 8, Plot 7
Interment Type: Burial
Title: MR
Surname : VINCENT
Given Names: DUDLEY IVAN
Date Of Death : 09-Sep-1996
Date Of Cremation : N/A
Date Of Burial : 13-Sep-1996
Funeral Director : TILTON OPIE AND PATTINSON LIMITED
Head Stone Details : Y

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
A possible birth for Margaret Burke. Nothing to confirm she is the right one but dates fit with age on Eric's birth cert. and the only birth for a Margaret Burke around that year so a maybe.

1890/13531
Burke Margaret
Mother Elizabeth
Father James

Last edited:
No my mum only knew her as nana vincent. All very interesting!! Maybe if i head to the graveyard :( (doesnt sound to nice) and see if anything is on Dudley and Erics headstones?? If there is one that is... yes i have seen that divorce record for gladys and Eric, and i dont have a copy of marriage, mite be another good way to go... not an easy one for a beginner!!!

thanks heaps for your help :)

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Victoria,

You could try the marriage cert. for Gladys and Eric but keep in mind sometimes they can have heaps of info but other times very little.

Divorce records can have info in them sometimes as well but a bit like the cert. can have very little as well. One lot of divorce records i got has a bit of history about both the persons involved. I dont know about New Zealand but both lots of Queensland divorce records i have gotten had a copy of the marriage cert. in them.

g d cooper

Loyal Member
HI: don't know about NZ but here in Aus in the 50&60 my last name would be changed to whoever I was fostered to at the time so had multiple names and religions in my youth. I used my last foster families name right up to getting my licence then had to revert to Cooper talking to others here in Aus the use of different names was not unusual in the case of children in care.

Glen.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thanks for that Glen :) Gets all very confusing doesnt it.

So Eric most likely used his foster name of Vincent but had to use Burke for his marriage.

g d cooper

Loyal Member
Thanks for that Glen :) Gets all very confusing doesnt it.

So Eric most likely used his foster name of Vincent but had to use Burke for his marriage.
Thats it gibbo I know state ward,s that had their first and last name change to suit their foster families wishes and then be told when they married or other legal document that they had to revert to their birth names as adults. It gets really confusing trying to find siblings.
Glen