• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Eric W Slater

Andrew193

Looking for any info regarding Eric. He was B1912 in Sheffield and married Margaret Foster Reg 1st Q 1945. I have info that he was KIA on 13/3/45 so soon after his marriage.
Is there anything that would say where or how he died or anything about his military service? Unfortunatly I don't even know what service he was in.

Thanks

trace

Valued Member
I've found an Eric W Slater b 4 Oct 1912 mothers maiden name Dawson
but it looks as though he died in 1997 in Bournemouth Registration District.
He is on 1939 Register with other members of his family with his occupation recorded as Micrometer Assembler.

There's a Walter Slater d 13 Apr 1945 age 33 Royal Ulster Rifles, son of Mr & Mrs John Slater of Heywood Lancs.

The CWGC records no death for SLATER on 13 Mar 1945.

Last edited:

Andrew193

I've found an Eric W Slater b 4 Oct 1912 mothers maiden name Dawson
but it looks as though he died in 1997 in Bournemouth Registration District.
He is on 1939 Register with other members of his family with his occupation recorded as Micrometer Assembler.

There's a Walter Slater d 13 Apr 1945 age 33 Royal Ulster Rifles, son of Mr & Mrs John Slater of Heywood Lancs.

The CWGC records no death for SLATER on 13 Mar 1945.
Thanks trace, pretty certain that neither of those are my Eric. The mention of KIA was taken from the 1939 Reg for Margaret, as you may know it's updated with new info and that was on it.

trace

Valued Member
Would you give me Margaret's date of birth so I can look at the 1939 record?

Don't worry, I've located it. I believe you have mistaken the .... KIA M. 13.3.45.

KIA is a code/initials(?) used by the NHS staff who completed the update.

I would suggest that 13.3.45 is the date that the change of surname, due to the marriage, was updated on the database.

I notice a second KIA 29.9.51 and NR230 also attached to Margaret's record, when further changes/ information were made/added.

Last edited:

trace

Valued Member
Yes, on war documents etc KIA is Killed in Action.

The KIA here is on the 1939 Register, not a war document and is against Margaret's name entry.

Going with your logic Margaret got 'Killed In Action' .... twice - once in 1945 and again in 1951......

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi,

As pointed out Trace in post 4, the dates are due to name change. Either Maragaret remarried in 1951 or changed name by deed poll or she may have reverted back to her maiden name.

Last edited: