• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Extra Extra!!!

tiddy30

hi all,i was hoping someone would have an idea where i can find out which news paper my gggrandfather worked for.
William reeves born 1827 in warwick married sarah thorpe c1858 and was a newspaper editor but i am unable to find out which paper he worked for.Any ideas anyone???????:confused:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Tiddy

First thing is to maybe find out where he was living when he was a newspaper editor and then try local newspaper offices or even newspaper records at the relevant record office to see if he is mentioned.

Have you got any info on what addresses he lived at at all?

Ben

tiddy30

Hi Tiddy

First thing is to maybe find out where he was living when he was a newspaper editor and then try local newspaper offices or even newspaper records at the relevant record office to see if he is mentioned.

Have you got any info on what addresses he lived at at all?

Ben
benny,in the 1841 census he is listed as an apprentice and living in peck lane.His children were all born in oxford so it could be a paper in oxford aswell.:confused:

tiddy30

i have not found their marriage record but sarah was from birmingham so is poss they were married there.My info came from my grandfather and other members of the family.Theie first child was born in 1859 in oxford and she was called louisa marie reeves.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Tiddy

Is this their marriage?

Marriages Sep 1854

Faragher John Birmingham 6d 276
McGrah Mary Birmingham 6d 276
REEVES William Birmingham 6d 276
Thorp Sarah Birmingham 6d 276

Ben

tiddy30

Hi

You can now send off for the marriage certificate. This may help you further in finding what newspaper he worked for.

Ben
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE!! I HAVE LOOKED FOR AGES WITH NO LUCK AND YOU FOUND IT IN HALF AN HOUR LOL.I WILL BE SENDING FOR THE CERT AS SOON AS POSS.THANKS AGAIN!:) :D

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Tiddy

I have found William on the 1861 census in Cowley, Oxfordshire.

Residence Cowley Road, Cowley, Oxfordshire.

William is aged 39, Head, born Leamington, Warwickshire, a newspaper reporter.
Sarah is aged 25, Wife, born Chelmsford, Essex
William Reeves, aged 5, Son born Oxford St Ebbes
Louisa is aged 5 a daughter born Oxford St Edmunds
Kate is aged 3, a daughter born Oxford St Edmunds
Ada is aged 3 months, a daughter born Cowley, Oxfordshire

Ben

tiddy30

benny, thats great!! it all ties in as my grandfather thought at 1 time that william's son henry was born in cowley only he thought it was cowley road oxford,i can tell him now that he was half right lol.Thank you soo much for your help it is much apriciated.:)

crankypants

Loyal Member
Hi Tiddy

Was your William REEVES death in 1885, if so there is a newspaper article in the Gale Collection which reads:-

Birmingham Daily Post (Birmingham, England), Thursday, August 20, 1885; Issue 8468. (2295 words)

Mr. William Reeves, Editor of the Oxford Chronicle, died on Tuesday after a short illness. For upwards of thirty years the deceased was connected with the Chronicle, which is the leading Liberal paper in the county, first as chief reporter, and afterwards as editor.

I hope this is your ancestor.

Cheers
crankypants

crankypants

Loyal Member
Hi Tiddy

Seems this is your William REEVES, this next article in the Gale collections says he is from Cowley Road.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, August 22, 1885; Issue 6909. (1811 words)
DEATH of Mr. Reeves - We regret to announce the death, after a brief illness, of Mr. William Reeves, editor of the Oxford Chronicle, which took place on Monday last, at his residence, No. 6, Clifton Villas, Cowley-Road.
The deceased had been connected with the Chronicle over thirty years, having been appointed reporter in the year 1854, a position he filled for twenty years, and on the death of Mr. Cooke, the original proprietor, Mr. Reeves succeeded to the editorship, a post which he faithfully discharged up to the time of his declining health some few months since. Mr. Reeves, who was greatly respected leaves behind him a family of six children and a numerous circle of friends to lament their loss.

Cheers
crankypants

tiddy30

Hi Tiddy

Seems this is your William REEVES, this next article in the Gale collections says he is from Cowley Road.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, August 22, 1885; Issue 6909. (1811 words)
DEATH of Mr. Reeves - We regret to announce the death, after a brief illness, of Mr. William Reeves, editor of the Oxford Chronicle, which took place on Monday last, at his residence, No. 6, Clifton Villas, Cowley-Road.
The deceased had been connected with the Chronicle over thirty years, having been appointed reporter in the year 1854, a position he filled for twenty years, and on the death of Mr. Cooke, the original proprietor, Mr. Reeves succeeded to the editorship, a post which he faithfully discharged up to the time of his declining health some few months since. Mr. Reeves, who was greatly respected leaves behind him a family of six children and a numerous circle of friends to lament their loss.

Cheers
crankypants
WOW!!!!!!! THATS GREAT.I DONT HAVE ACCESS TO NEWS PAPERS SO WOULDNT HAVE KNOWN WHERE TO START.THANKS SOO MUCH CRANKY FOR FINDING THEM ARTICLES AND THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP I CANT THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH.:D :D
WHERE CAN I GET A COPY OF THAT ARTICLE??WOULD I NEED TO CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY?

crankypants

Loyal Member
Hi Tiddy

In 1878 there is another death at 6 Clifton Villas, it must be William's son, even though the age varies going by the census.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, March 9, 1878; Issue 6519. (3251 words)

Mr. W. Reeves, 6, Clifton Villas, Cowley Road, Oxford, aged 17.

Like us in Australia you may also be able to access these newspapers online for free through a library in the U.K.
About three years ago I could get access to the Bedfordshire Library (anyone in the world had access), then a year or two later they stopped this, I think someting to with breaching laws.

These papers are a fantastic source for searching your ancestors, whether the stories are good or bad.

Cheers
crankypants