• Welcome to Family History Forum πŸ”Ž

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource πŸ“š

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all πŸ”—

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

F Cowling. Passenger. S S Rimutaka. 1887

brentor boy

Valued Member
According to a press report, F Cowling was a passenger on S S Rotarua when she sailed from Onehunga, Auckland, on 8 Feb 1887, to connect with S S Rimutaka, scheduled to sail from Wellington on 10 February, bound for London.

Is there a passenger list for either vessel that gives additional information that might help to identify the passenger - full name; age; occupation; residence: or destination?

I am interested in Frederick Cowling, miner, of Thames. In 1886 he was living in Owen Street, Thames. The next reference I can find for him is his marriage in 1892. Did he make a visit to England in the interim?

brentor boy

Valued Member
In a newspaper report, dated 11February 1887, Frederick Cowling is named as a passenger on the departed S S Rimutaka.
Is it possible that he was a miner from Thames, aged 34, bound for Plymouth?

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
All UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists 1887 results for Cowling = only Collingwood.

I've not seen any passenger lists for vessels travelling between NZ ports.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
NZ shipping records are such that you almost need to know the name of the vessel and the date of arrival and arrival port. A starting point as you have found is a mention in a newspaper.

I'm a bit surprised there seems to be no matching Cowling on the UK arrivals.

It would take many hours but an arrival in say Auckand for a F Cowling between 1887 and 1892 might be found if existing passenger lists for that period were searched.

I checked some and not all the links are working so no way of knowing for sure.

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
There’s this F Cowling.

Event date1924
Event place New Zealand
Age 49
M
British
Occupation mining engineer
Where from. Whither bound. Sydney