• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Family dysfunction and future genealogists

JMR

Valued Member
It's been said before I know, but thought this vision of things to come for future genealogists was worth sharing.

I had an email from a young person through GR on the weekend. They gave me access to their tree which had 8 people in total on it. This is someone who came from a broken home and from a family that had a long history of dysfunction (normal for these days, but scandalous in those times).

They had clearly asked a few questions from someone with a faulty memory which resulted in their Gt Grandfather shown as the husband of his daughter >:D .

This is the tangle that will be left to sort out before future genealogists can make sense of their family tree. Here is a young person trying to find out who they are and I have so much information which could cause either much happiness or many problems in this family and yet I think they are entitled to know eg. this person has an Aunt about 2 years older than them from a different relationship.

Any thoughts/ideas on how to handle this will be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Jill