• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Family History Magazines

Hi Folks,
Despite the 15+ years of research by my cousin and I, and also the tremendous support received from several members of this site, (for which thanks is never adequate), some of the above reckon they have experts at solving 'brickwalls'.

Being blessed with three of them, I thought I'd write to one or two, but then thought, are they likely to be able to produce anything that is not known!

So has anyone had experience of contacting these magazines?

Best Wishes to everyone for 2016.

Brian

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Unless they have a secret search formula, I wouldn't bother.

Try the normal method for brick walls - write out what you know and what information you already have!

Then examine the data carefully - it is surprising how one can miss information you already have by not reading 'around' the info you have looked at many, many times.
At times it is amazing how one just doesn't read what you already have!!

Peter

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Ditto.:)

But, there is always that nagging doubt in the back of your mind, that perhaps they could knock a brick out of that wall.

I had one small wall to knock down from the very start of my ancestry. My brother swore our Grandfather was Eli Ives, and after a few months of searching, it turned out it was Frederick Eli Ives.:rolleyes:

That was the last time I trusted my brother with family history.:biggrin:

There was also a very seasoned FH researcher, who took my family line back to the 1750's, and I took it for gospel, only to find he was totally wrong. I still have brick walls, but who hasn't.;)

So the only conclusion I can say, is "do it yourself", and keep your cash for better things.

Oh yes, post your brick walls on here, as you never know what people may find out there in the wide blue yonder. There may be other family members, unknown to you, who may reveal what you can't find. The more info you 'put out there', the better chance of search engines picking it up.

Steve.:)

stockpot

Valued Member
I did once have a photo analysed by a magazine expert (free, with the results published in the magazine).
Obviously they couldn't name the people in the photo but they did narrow down the date and comment on the dress style which lead me to a tentative conclusion as to who the people were.
An interesting exercise and quite useful.
Elaine

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Sometimes I google names and places, amazing what you can turn up. It can't always tell you your ancestors, but sometime it can give you an idea why they moved across the country??!!

Amanda

Thanks for the replies, still thinking about it. My brickwalls were aired on this site over the last 3/4 years, and sadly, despite being in the excellent hands of many of you, we didn't get through. Due to health problems, 2015 was a write-off for family research, and trying to catch up now is hard, mainly finding out what stage I got to before. Still keeps me on the straight and narrow, I suppose! :biggrin::biggrin: