• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Family History Societies

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone have any experience of using these, especially with such common names like Evans & Davies? I've been toying with this for some time but having failed everywhere else, thought it may be time to consider it. Thanks to you all for the excellent support you give.

Brian

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Brian,

I used the little family history society in a previous town i lived in, i didnt find it of much help. As our ancestors were locals i found at the back of our local library a small area with all the local history and found heaps there.

I guess it would depend on who and what you are looking for. I would give it a go as you never know.

I have gotten some information from some surprising places so think outside of the square as well.

Thanks for the advice. Living where I do, with ancestors moving from Cardigan and Carmarthenshire to the Rhondda for the coal mines 1860's onwards was never going to be easy. Travel down to those parts of Wales is not an option.

What a pity that my ancestors were not given pure 'Welsh' christian names - that would have helped. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Brian

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
I am a researcher for our local family history society in Scotland and we transcribe gravestones, have lots of local knowledge, maps, local books about individual towns, family trees deposited with us and birth marriage and death records. We also do research for people who come in or charge a bit for folk who can't get to our archives. Think the FHS's are all different depending where you are but I know I have had help in the past from Barnsley FHS and Buckinghamshire FHS where my ancestors come from.

But most of them have websites where you can see what they offer.

Barbara