• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Family names

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Hi All
Clutching at straws here.
I have found possible parents for my rellie born in Ugley, Essex BUT they also have another sibling with the same christian name!
SO is it possible that there could be 2 siblings with the same name.
I have previously found 2 in the same family with the same name but the first had died and this one was definately still living!
I have a feeling that on the balance of probabilities its not the same family, but you never know!

peter

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, it's possible. Especially if one dies earlier. It was practised, that when a child dies, later on in life they would name another child with the same name.:)

You will need to check burials.

Steve.:)

dochines

Valued Member
Another option with two living siblings with the same name is that one or even both were known by their second name by the family. This is especially true of the males and i would look for the common christian name in their forefathers

dochines

Edward

Valued Member
Hi

I have a family with

Frances Sarah Bilbe born 1831
Sarah Frances Bilbe born 1839

in the 1851 census

Frances is 20
Sarah Frances is 11

In the 1841 Census
Sarah is 10
Frances is 1

So they swap names between the Censuses

They don't want to make your life easy!

Ed

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Hi Woodlander
Thats where the information is, unfortunately its the information that I did!!
The actual birth of George Smith, Ugley is missing so clutching at straws i found all the Smiths at Ugley and found a family that had births from 1808 (george was in 1805) but they also had a George in 1826 hence my question.
So on the basis that its unlikely to be the same family I will keep looking.
Not easy with the Smith name!!

peter

woodlander

Valued Member
Hard luck, I thought I'd found something to help redf)

I too, have the dreaded Smiths in my tree - even changed to Baxendale and back again to Smith at one point :eek: :confused:

Keep plugging away and good luck with it, :)

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Keep plugging thats the only way!!
When my gran said her family name was Smith I stopped considering doing a family tree, but when she died her birth cert said she was a McCabe not Smith so I started.
I then hit Smith again on my fathers side but that turned out to be the easiest as Great grandfather was called Job so easy to follow on the census back to George then brick wall.
Oh well cant win em all!

peter

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have an ancestor who named two children by the christian name Edwin and one was known as George. Edwin George Auber and Edwin Auber.