• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

family puzzle

Alison

From
Scotland
Have a bit of a puzzle in my tree, on my great grandmothers marriage record her mother signs her name as Sarah Leach maiden name Smart.
However on looking further back she was born Wiltshire as Sarah Choules 22,3,1868, her parents were William Choules and Mary Gater.
As far as I know her mother died before her father, allthough I dont have exact details, I have nothing to say her parents divorced and remarried or that she herself married twice.
I also have a diary which belonged to my gran who was Sarah's grandaughter and she has her name as Sarah Smart also! :confused:

Alison

my great gran was Alice leach b 31/12/1894 Hitchin, she married Edinburgh 21/8/1919 to James Fraser and died 24/4/1979 Edinburgh. I only have her marriage cert but do have a family tree from a professional geneologist my grans sister had done and he has her mothers name as Choules also not Smart!

I have Choules in my tree dating back to Robert 1571 and Jane 1573, so is very detailed, and a lot of contacts who have done all the hard work on the research, but no hint to where the name Smart came from!

LEACH, Albert Head Married M 43 1868 Horsekeeper Huntingdon Hunts
LEACH, Sarah Wife Married 22 years 10children, 9 alive, F 43 1868 Great Bedwin Wilts
LEACH, Edith Daughter F 13 1898 School Graveley Stevenage Herts
LEACH, Rose Daughter F 11 1900 School Stevenage Herts
LEACH, William Son M 9 1902 School Lt Wymondley Stevenage Herts
LEACH, Arthur Son M 6 1905 School Lt Wymondley Stevenage Herts
LEACH, Edward Son M 4 1907 School Lt Wymondley Stevenage Herts V
LEACH, Fred Son M 2 1909 School Lt Wymondley Stevenage Herts

RG number:RG14 Piece:7581
Reference:
RG14PN7581 RG78PN371 RD136 SD1 ED12 SN38

Registration District: Hitchin
Sub District: Baldock
Enumeration District: 12
Parish: Little Wymondley

Address: Little Wymondley Stevenage Hertfordshire
Alison

Last edited:
AliceLeachJamesFraser.jpg

009-5.jpg

Is he one of yours Alison?....i took this pic a few months ago in Lambourn Woodlands,lovely little church about ten miles from Swindon.
Think i posted it on the military thread:confused:...or maybe the Photo thread.

There are so many Alison in that region.....not helped with parts of Berkshire used to being Wilts in years gone by....Hungerford used to be split down the middle....so good luck!

Anyway not forgeting the great man Claude Choules in the link below who was the last fighting man of both wars to die earlier this year aged 110:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Choules

Hello Alison,

Working backwards:

name: Albert William Leach
baptism/christening date: 08 Jun 1902
baptism/christening place: LITTLE WYMONDLEY, HERTFORD, ENGLAND
birth date: 11 Mar 1902
birthplace:
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: Albert Henry Leach
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Sarah Ellen
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C07265-2
system origin: England-EASy
source film number: 991404
reference number: yr 1897-1964 p 8

Marriages Dec 1888
CHOULES Sarah Ellen Dartford 2a 774
LEACH Albert Henry Dartford 2a 774

Births Mar 1868
Choules Sarah Ellen Hungerford 2c 238

Births Mar 1867
Leach Albert Henry Huntingdon 3b 251

No middle names on the marriage certificate and Sarah listed as a spinster so Smart is a real mystery.

think shes in there as Sarah Hellen but cant find it now lol this is her in census also, allthough father Williams dob differs from info I have!

1411 79 6-William CHOULES bp 15.12.1822 Great Bedwin/Trowbridge,Wilts
1881: Name Relation Marital Status Age Birthplace Occupation
William CHOULES Head W 57 c1824 Gt Bedwyn, Wilts Ag Lab
George CHOULES Son U 17 c1864 Gt Bedwyn, Wilts Ag Lab
Sarah CHOULES Daur 13 Gt Bedwyn, Wilts
Hannah GATER Mother In Law W 76 Preshute, Wilts
Source Information: Dwelling Browns Lane Census Place Great Bedwin, Wilts
Family History Library Film 1341310 Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 1274 / 13 Page Number 1
m 25 Dec 1851 Great Bedwin,Wilts Mary GATER bur 15 Feb 1875 Great Bedwin

Where's the evidence for the 'Smart' name Alison? I've checked a couple of times and everything presented here seems to be for Leach-Choules.

I know you've probably done heaps of research but I wondered how you knew these two surnames both relate to your family.

The name Sarah Smart is the name that was in my grans diary as Sarah was my grans gran, also my great grans marriage record gives her mothers name as Sarah Leach maiden name Smart.

I know from family that they came from Hitchen, Hertfordshire, then found census records which gave Sarahs birth place as Wiltshire. Both her birth and marriage give her name as Sarah Choules allthough I've not viewed original records and don't have death info!

Alison

Hi Alison,

I may be a bit thick or missing something here but from the information you have presented to us, where is the evidence that she was born Choules and not Smart. You say a professional genealogist reported her maiden name as Choules but what proof is there that he had the correct person, there may be a Sarah Smart as well as a Sarah Choules. Can you clarify this a bit. It
is not unheard of for professionals to go down the wrong track!
dochines

Given the 1911 census with Sarah born about 1868 Gt Bedwyn and being married 22 years and several baptism records including these two there would need to be a marriage about 1889 and a birth for Sarah about 1868 near Gt Bedwyn:

name: Arthur George Leach
baptism/christening date: 28 Apr 1907
birth date: 08 Jan 1905
birthplace:
death date:
name note:
race:
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
reference number: yr 1897-1964 p 15

name: Frederick Charles Leach
baptism/christening date: 09 Jan 1910
birth date:
birthplace:
death date:
name note:
race:
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
reference number: yr 1897-1964 p 19

As SMART there are these two in Wiltshire:

Births Mar 1869
Smart Sarah Marlbro' 5a 86

Births Sep 1868
SMART Ellen Marlbro' 5a 82

but no sign of a marriage as Sarah or Ellen SMART to a LEACH/LEECH.

No sign of a Sarah or Ellen SMART marriage to a COULES/CHOULES.

Last edited:
yeah I have thought of that. I have no solid evidence for the name Choules but am certain as I can be that I have the correct family in the census records and cant find any Albert Henry Leach married to a Sarah Ellen Smart from Wiltshire therfore can only assume the marriage to Sarah ellen Choules is them as all other info seems to fit.
I can try and get a copy of their daughter Alices death in Scotland which will give mothers name but need to order it cant view it on scotlandspeople due to the dates and think its highly likely that it will say Smart as her marriage record did .
Not sure what info's on the original English records other than whats available on free bmb on ancestry which just says parents Albert Henry Leach and Sarah Ellen with no maiden name!

Back