• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

family puzzle

Hello Alison,

Have you considered this one?

Deaths Jun 1937
Leach Sarah E 69 Hitchin 3a 961

Regards,

Dave

Here is one:

Births Mar 1905
Leach Arthur George Hitchin 3a 759

and another:

Births Jun 1909
LEACH Frederick Charles Hitchin 3a 803

This probably accounts for the Sarah SMART with birth in Marlbro RD:

Matched ***

Marriages Jun 1890
SHIPWAY Francis Augustus Marlborough 5a 165 ***
Smart Sarah Marlbro' 5a 165
Smith Charles William Marlbro' 5a 165
SQUIBB Martha Elizabeth Marlbro' 5a 165 ***

Good puzzle. Everything does seem to fit with the Choules surname rather than Smart. I did some quick searches and accounted for 9 children. The 1911 census said there were originally 10 although one had died by then.

Notice that several of the children and Sarah herself often preferred their middle names.

There was a Sarah Smart born in Wiltshire but she didn't appear to have a middle name.

--------------------

Albert Henry Leach, b. c1868 Horsekeeper Huntingdon Hunts
Sarah Ellen Leach (aka "Ellen") b. c1868 Great Bedwyn Wilts (m. 22 yrs => c1889, children: 9 living - 1 deceased)

Ethel Maud Leach b. c1890 Sidcup Kent
Harriet Louisa Leach (aka "Louisa") b. c1893 Weston Hunts
Alice Leach b. c1895 Graveley Stevenage Herts
Edith May Leach b. c1898 Graveley Stevenage Herts
Rose Leach b. c1900 Stevenage Herts
Albert William Leach (aka "William") b. 11/3/1902 Lt Wymondley Stevenage Herts
Arthur George Leach b. 8/1/1905 Lt Wymondley Stevenage Herts
Edward Leach b. 21/3/1907 Lt Wymondley Stevenage Herts
Frederick Charles Leach (aka "Fred") b. 9/1/1910 Lt Wymondley Stevenage Herts

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1911 census: RG14PN7581 RG78PN371 RD136 SD1 ED12 SN38
Addr: Little Wymondley Stevenage

1901 census: RG13/1299/104/4
Addr: St Wymondley Village, Little Wymondley

1891 census: Cannot locate

Marriages 1888/Q4/2a/774 - Dartford
Sarah Ellen Choules
Albert Henry Leach

Birth 1867/Q1/3b/251 - Huntingdon
Albert Henry Leach

Birth 1868/Q1/2c/238 - Hungerford, Wilts. Parents William (1824) and Mary (1826)
Sarah Ellen Choules

Birth 1869/Q1/5a/86 - South Saversnake, Wilts. Parents William (1820) and Mary (1823)
Sarah Smart

Thanks Dave, dont think thats her, all her children are named Leach born from 1889 to 1909, the leach- Choules marriage is 1888 and if she married twice then it would have be out with those dates and maybe confused maiden name with with other husbands surname in which case it would be a Choules-Smart marraige.
Or if her mother remarried a Gater- Smart marriage!

Alison

Thanks AcProctor,

I'm sure her middle name was Ellen because that was also my grans middle name and she was named after her. I dont seem to have detail of 1891 either but think they may have been in Kent where first child was born!

Alison

Birth 1869/Q1/5a/86 - South Saversnake, Wilts. Parents William (1820) and Mary (1823)
Sarah Smart[/QUOTE]

This one looks good I have her parents as William Choules Mary Gater maybe William was also named Smart!!

Alison,could you check for an Ali Gater in your tree....and make it snappy please.

Just to say that Savernake has no S in it so as well as a missing Alligater you now have no Saver Snake:biggrin:

Good luck with your Choules and Smarts...lots of Smarts in Swindon not far away.

Last edited:
Alison, here's an interesting explanation for you. I'm sure you'll be able to shoot it down in flames but it makes sense from what you've posted so far.

I believe Albert Henry Leach *did* marry Sarah Ellen Leach. Hence, all those details that your sister and the professional genealogist recorded are correct. It all hangs together far too cleanly to be questioned. Hence, we basically have an issue with the Smart surname.

You said this appeared in your gran's diary as the maiden name of her gran. The fact it also appeared on your g-gran's (Alice) marriage cert in Edinburgh is probably derived from the diary entry rather than a separate piece of evidence.

Now, your gran would have had two grans herself. Is it possible that the Smart was the surname of her other gran?

Thanks AcProctor,

I'm sure her middle name was Ellen because that was also my grans middle name and she was named after her. I dont seem to have detail of 1891 either but think they may have been in Kent where first child was born!

Alison

I gave the reference for the 1901 census Alison. If you look in there, Sarah is recorded as "S. Ellen Leach". In other words, she preferred her middle name to her forename.

Alison, here's an interesting explanation for you. I'm sure you'll be able to shoot it down in flames but it makes sense from what you've posted so far.

I believe Albert Henry Leach *did* marry Sarah Ellen Leach. Hence, all those details that your sister and the professional genealogist recorded are correct. It all hangs together far too cleanly to be questioned. Hence, we basically have an issue with the Smart surname.

You said this appeared in your gran's diary as the maiden name of her gran. The fact it also appeared on your g-gran's (Alice) marriage cert in Edinburgh is probably derived from the diary entry rather than a separate piece of evidence.

Now, your gran would have had two grans herself. Is it possible that the Smart was the surname of her other gran?

My gran may have got the name Smart from reading her mother death or marriage record but I'm sure she knew her gran and think I can remember her talking about visiting her, so cant imagine she wouldnt know her name. Her other gran was Catherine Scougal !

Hello Alison,

Re these two:

Births Mar 1869
Smart Sarah Marlbro' 5a 86

Births Sep 1868
SMART Ellen Marlbro' 5a 82

That marriage I found to SMITH I think rules out Sarah. I have not ruled out Ellen yet. The name, age and place of birth are all too close not to try to rule her out. That's the only outstanding thing I can think of.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave, will keep that one in mind but still cant find a marriage to Albert Leach.
I'm going to order the original birth and death for my greatgran Alice Leach and hope that will shed some light, will lets you's know when I get them!! :)

Trying to order certs from GRO but need GRO index reference number or will be charged extra without it! The site gave me link to ancestry so assume the same ref number will be available on there with subscription, if anyone has subscription could you check for me please? :)
Just birth or christening ref I need, can order death from scotlandpeople, allthough not checked it yet so not sure!

Think these are the correct birth and christening

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
Birth, Baptism & Christening

View Image
Name: Alice Leach
Birth: Jan 1895 - Hitchin, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906
Birth, Baptism & Christening

Name: Alice Leach
Mother: Sarah Ellen
Father: Albert Henry Leach
Birth: date
More: See all information...

Hello Alison,

Births Mar 1895
Leach Alice Hitchin 3a 564

March Quarter
Registration District: Hitchin
Volume: 3a
Page: 564

Regards,

Dave

Hi Alison

Births Mar 1895
Leach Alice Hitchin 3a 564

In the absence of daveham, the ref Mar means the March quarter, so includes births in Jan and Feb. GRO BMD records are in the quarter the birth was registered, not the actual month. so a birth late in say March could be registered in the Jun qtr and so on. The info above is all you need to order the cert.
dave

Last edited:
Back