• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Family suicide

christineoa

Hi,

I have been told via a relative that a member of our family committed suicide in 1930. Would it say suicide on his death certificate? Could it have been reported in a newspaper,would there have been an inquest and if so is there any way to access such information.

Much appreciated
Chris

pejay

Valued Member
as far as I am aware it will say death by suicide ........ ie shooting, I had an acestor who commited suicide and there was an inquest, you should be able to search local archives or old local newspapers for info :)

christineoa

Hi pejay,

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely have a go at accessing some archive records to see what I can find.

By the way apologies for repeating this thread more than once. :eek: No I am not drunk but when I thought it hadn't shown up I decided to post again and again! Sorry I now realise that I was just a bit impatient and simply just needed to wait awhile for it to appear! redf)

Thanks again
chris