• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Family Tree Maker 2009

patrickw

Hello Julie,
If its any help I got this version about 2 weeks ago. I spent ages looking for the right one and ended up going for this one. BIG mistake!! It is awful, the link to ancsestry was a big plus point but even that failed to win me over. I ended up taking it back and swapping it for the family tree suite, a much cheaper set up, but one that does practically the same job, and has the advantage of working. Of course all of the above should be read in the knowledge that i'm a total luditte !!
Pat

LOL!!! Pat,

I have used FTM since the early days, (version 3 :eek: :eek: , was my first one) it was produced by Broderbund then.

I gradually progressed and boy when version 11 came out did I get a shock!

I bit the bullett and bought 2005 deluxe edition (why I bothered though cos I have never really looked at the cd's that came with it) BUT i got my subs to ancestry with it, and havent looked back since!

I have heard rumours that it is (2009) much more user friendly and you can have all of your family info on the one page as you look at it, without having to flip from pillar to post. Also that 'other' bits like the gen reports are better and more customiseable (if that is a word..lol)

I know its only £20 but if I dont like it will I be able to revert easily back to my FTM 2005? or will I have to start all over?

patrickw

Hi again Julie,
you should have no probs going back, it says its designed to add to and suppliment earlier versions. I just couldnt get on with it, and if that was the simpler , easier version, Id have had no chance with the others lol.
Good luck with it anyway, but its not the money as much as the time and effort and 'oneself' that you put into these things isnt it.
best wishes
Pat
ps, sorry to be so negative lol

Hi again Julie,
you should have no probs going back, it says its designed to add to and suppliment earlier versions. I just couldnt get on with it, and if that was the simpler , easier version, Id have had no chance with the others lol.
Good luck with it anyway, but its not the money as much as the time and effort and 'oneself' that you put into these things isnt it.
best wishes
Pat
ps, sorry to be so negative lol
Nah, Negative..... whois? ;)

thing is, its what you are used to/get on with,

I have looked at other programs and tried to get 'on' with them, but always fall back to FTM,

wouldn't do for everyone to like everything the same would it?

duckweed

Loyal Member
I've got 2009 but don't notice any difference from 2008 but haven't looked at a lot. I like the fact that it flags up possible links, But the main reason I got it was that I found a supplier offering it for £29.99 and with six months free search on Ancestry it was cheaper than subscribing directly to Ancestry. The old 2005 is still good. I keep it as well as my brother prefers it and we swap files from time to time.