• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Familysearch and Ancestry

gibbo

Loyal Member
Two of the world’s largest family history research organizations are joining forces in an effort they say will bring 1 billion historical records online.

The effort joins together the nonprofit FamilySearch, which provides access to its records for free, and the for-profit Ancestry.com, which charges subscribers monthly fees for access to its databases and services.

The two organizations have collaborated on projects for several years and Sullivan said Ancestry.com does not view FamilySearch’s free content as a drain on its revenues.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/56830408-79/ancestry-records-com-online.html.csp

I wonder if familysearch will eventually start charging :confused:

I wonder if familysearch will eventually start charging

Not sure they can Gibbo. There's a mormon temple about 3 miles from here where I've ordered and searched film/fiche etc. and it's always been refused when I've offered a donation; I seem to remember being told they weren't allowed to accept via religious connection to the search facilities but not sure about that.
Interesting to follow, thanks for sharing :)

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
I don't understand the question.
Familysearch is continually changing.

The latest agreement is simply to allow Ancestry to digitise the millions of microfilm records held by the LDS.

I have not seen the details of the argreement but I imagine it is in the form that the scans will be available on familysearch free of charge at Family History Centers (or perhaps free if one logs in) and available on Ancestry with the transcripts free and the original image for a fee.

That is how the present agreement with the LDS and Ancestry works for the 1881 census.

I think it is good for the family history community.
Cheers
Guy

Two of the world’s largest family history research organizations are joining forces in an effort they say will bring 1 billion historical records online.

The effort joins together the nonprofit FamilySearch, which provides access to its records for free, and the for-profit Ancestry.com, which charges subscribers monthly fees for access to its databases and services.

The two organizations have collaborated on projects for several years and Sullivan said Ancestry.com does not view FamilySearch’s free content as a drain on its revenues.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/56830408-79/ancestry-records-com-online.html.csp

I wonder if familysearch will eventually start charging :confused:

Hi Gibbo
you were beaten to this post..

dave

http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=24592