• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Fanny TURNER

Item [1874/0012] - Fanny Turner v John Turner
Reference code
AU WA S35- cons3404 [1874/0012]
Title
Fanny Turner v John Turner
Date(s)
  • 1874-04-24 - 1874-05-22 (Accumulation)
Level of description
Item
Context area

Name of creator
AU WA A44 - SUPREME COURT OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA (1861-01-01 -)
Repository
State Records Office of Western Australia
Content and structure area

Scope and content
Nee: Fanny Dickson
https://archive.sro.wa.gov.au/index.php/fanny-turner-v-john-turner-1874-0012

Francis, John, and Sarah Turner, three little children, were charged by Frances Turner, their mother, with being neglected children. Mrs. Turner stated that she had lately come from Western Australia, had £35 stolen from her, was without means, and had no one to maintain her. She intended to go to service and support the children with her earnings, but she wanted the children taken charge of for 12 months. To be sent to the Industrial School for 12 months.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/159451993?searchTerm=frances turner

I was wondering why Jane, the youngest one born 1873 wasn't mentioned in the article so had another look and she died 9 days old.

TURNER JANE 9D JOHN UNKNOWN UNKNOWN 1873-66241873

Thanks gibbo.

I've found some trees and only one has John's death in SA and his marriage to Fanny but no mention of any children.

The actual record of the children gives some insight.

Frances Turner aged 6 Church of england admission 28th Jan 1875 .. notes: April 30th 1875, adopted by John Whitelaw
John Turner aged 4 3/4 admission 28th Jan 1875 .. notes: July 25th 1878, handed to mother who is going to Sydney
Sarah Turner aged 3 admission 28th Jan 1875 .. notes: March 16th 1875, adopted by Thomas Mason

Sentenced to Industrial school for the term of 12 months as been uncontrollable.

Mother Frances going to service father John Turner a pensioner at present in Iceland.
FS

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C3MC-XWDN?i=62

??
NSW Death TURNER FANNY 4324/1884 AGE 36 YEARS DIED CAMPERDOWN NEWTOWN * 19 Aug

Im not finding a death or funeral notice for Fanny 1884, John would have still been young around 14, guess he would have been working at that age and most likely fended for himself??
The death you found is the right age, Fanny was 28 in 1876 [prison record] and 1884 she was 36.

Last edited:
Probably the right death.

We've not looked at Dickson/Dixon side.

No birth in WA index.

??
WA Death DIXON RICHARD 70 UNKNOWN UNKNOWN UNKNOWN 1894 - 270 1894

I can't find anything.

Last edited:
Yeah. I think we are stuck gibbo. We have a rough age and father as Richard and it's either Dixon or Dickson.

A lot of good work thanks gibbo.

I'm going away tomorrow for 3 days to Gloucester and Barrington Tops National park on a bus tour.

On Fanny's prison record it states ..... Arrival in colony ..1874 then From Whence .. W Australia

So appears she just put her arrival date for arriving in South Australia and come from WA. I had another look hoping i might have missed a birth place on it, a lot of the others on the same page as her have a UK town and a couple have Melbourne. IF she was born in WA her birth appears to have gone unregistered.

Back