• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Fathers of illegitimate children?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

From my experience I know tracing them can be quite difficult and sometimes we have several pointers as to a potential father. Have any of you had a success in finding the potential father of an illegitimate child?

My 3xgreat grandfather Thomas Edgington was born illegitimately in 1822 in Wootton, Berkshire. He had 3 illegitimate siblings or half siblings. I have not been able to find a father.

My 2xgreat grandmother was born 31/12/1863 in Warninglid, Sussex the illegitimate daughter of Mary Ann Walder. The babe was named after her mum. Mary Ann Walder Snr and a servant and footman Thomas Roberts who lived in nearby Brighton, Sussex moved away with her shortly after the birth and they wed in Stoke Newington, London in July 1864. The babe was then baptised as the daughter of the mother and her new husband in November 1864 at the same church. Turns out Thomas was still married until 6 weeks before his future wife had her baby on 31 Dec 1863. His previous wife had been ill for a long while beforehand according to her Nov 1863 death cert.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ben,

My Gt.GT. Grandmother Elizabeth Allen, had 3 children. No fathers name on birth or marriage certs for them.
No baptisms for two of them that I could find.
The third one was baptised my Elizabeths sister Mary, and only Elizabeth was given as parents name at baptism.

So that's a brickwall, that I don't think will ever be knocked down.

Steve.:)

Edward

Valued Member
The Fathers name is some times given in the parish register.

as with this entry for a Trodd from the parish register for Pear tree Chapel in Southampton.

1835 18 Oct Ann, illegitimate d of Charles Carter-Carpenter & EHzabeth Trodd - Bittern , South Stoneham

I haven't yet found if there is a connection to my Trodd relatives who are also in the register.

Ed

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
The Fathers name is some times given in the parish register.

as with this entry for a Trodd from the parish register for Pear tree Chapel in Southampton.

1835 18 Oct Ann, illegitimate d of Charles Carter-Carpenter & EHzabeth Trodd - Bittern , South Stoneham

I haven't yet found if there is a connection to my Trodd relatives who are also in the register.

Ed
Actually Edward, I'll have to give the parish regs another look when I get to England, but in other local areas.:)

Cheers mate.

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I do think it is pot luck with illegitimacy. I have an ancestor born in 1771 in Sussex and the putative father admitted fatherhood in a bond.