• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

FHUK Forums - Social

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi All,

A few questions for our loyal FHUK supporters, members, FHUK team and visitors alike:-
1) Do you use Facebook
2) Do you use Twitter
3) Many have asked to be able to link to Facebook/Twitter - would you be interested?
4) We may be looking to add into the website some social connectivity, similar to Facebook, to enable friends, groups etc. What do YOU think?

And last but not least:
As our new site is progressing, we are looking for further ideas, comments and also criticism of the current website.
What do you want? What do you want to see?

We look forward to hearing from you :)
Thanks,
Dave

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Good idea to include social networking sites, but I personally don't use any of them.

Any chance of increasing the total kB upload for attachments.

Maybe a seperate forum for decyphering handwritng etc regarding original documents.

Steve.:)

gibbo

Loyal Member
I dont use facebook or twitter so i have no big interest in them but Steve's idea of a separate forum for the documents would be great.

gibbo

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
I agree with Steve about about an increase in the KB load for attachments and a seperate forum for deciphering handwriting etc and perhaps another one for photos.

sterico

Loyal Member
A few questions for our loyal FHUK supporters, members, FHUK team and visitors alike:-
1) Do you use Facebook
2) Do you use Twitter
3) Many have asked to be able to link to Facebook/Twitter - would you be interested?
4) We may be looking to add into the website some social connectivity, similar to Facebook, to enable friends, groups etc. What do YOU think?

And last but not least:
As our new site is progressing, we are looking for further ideas, comments and also criticism of the current website.
What do you want? What do you want to see?
okay ,1. yes i use facebook
2. no i dont use twitter
3. as regards having a link to facebook/twitter , i'm not really pushed about it as i dont think i would use it , but if the demand is there for it , go for it
4. to have a social networking forum , im all for it as long as its going to be used , ive already noticed a few negative comments , but see how things go on that .
as regards other things for the site , i agree with steve , it seems a good idea , hope all is well with you Admin .
Best regards Sterico

duckweed

Loyal Member
I am on facebook but only because my brother and partner prefer to communicate that way. Socially I think we do pretty well on the site as I have a few friends I now email as well. Downloading things to share is a problem I agree. I don't have time to Twitter.

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
Burpengary, Brisbane Queensland Australia
okay ,1. yes i use facebook
2. no i dont use twitter
3. as regards having a link to facebook/twitter , i'm not really pushed about it as i dont think i would use it , but if the demand is there for it , go for it
4. to have a social networking forum , im all for it as long as its going to be used , ive already noticed a few negative comments , but see how things go on that .
as regards other things for the site , i agree with steve , it seems a good idea , hope all is well with you Admin .
Best regards Sterico
For me "personally" I think facebook is a waste of space but for those that enjoy it, then i say why not.

Oz Steve

Edward

Valued Member
I have never used Facebook or twitter my Children both use Facebook so I may have to get an account so as to keep intouch with them but have managed to resist so far.

It has been good to share photos on the site the idea of a forum for documents is a good one.

Ed

Hi
I don't use either, but my wife uses Facebook to keep in touch with family in N.Z and Singapore.

There are times when you are searching on behalf of a member, and you would like to ask a question of the poster, you know they are still on line, but you can't contact them. If they then log off without checking the thread, it can be sometime before they return. Windows messenger has a feature where you can send a nudge to make your contact aware that you are trying to contact them. Would this be a useful feature to add?

dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

Good idea to include social networking sites, but I personally don't use any of them.

Maybe a seperate forum for decyphering handwritng etc regarding original documents.
I agree totally with Steve. :D Amazing. :rolleyes:

Dave

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
There may be 2 separate options:
To add your own page and groups to the forums (here) or maybe looking to add a social area (similar to Facebook) to the main site. To see examples click the following:
VBulletin
JomSocial

Whatever we are also looking to link logins to the main site and the forums to integrate better.
With this we will also be adding "open login" together with Facebook & Twitter to enable users to register with FHUK with their relative Facebook, Twitter or Open accounts (to make it easier!).

As regards to media - photos & videos etc, we will look to change this and allow a bigger allowance for members.:)

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi Admin

I have stopped using Facebook, and don't use Twitter.

I agree with Steve regarding a forum for photographs and one for downloading documents that someone can't read and needs another pair of eyes or specs !

Other than that I think the majority of us are perfectly happy with what we have, thank you.

Maddie

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hey Dave, stick it all on.

It will be a case of those that want use it, will.

If it's all there, then the options to use it, or not, are as well.

Just hope the 'guts' of the site don't change too much.

I would think the 'younger' brigade will find it more appealing maybe.

Any tool that spreads the word helps, because eventually it could help us all.

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
Burpengary, Brisbane Queensland Australia
Hi
I don't use either, but my wife uses Facebook to keep in touch with family in N.Z and Singapore.
There are times when you are searching on behalf of a member, and you would like to ask a question of the poster, you know they are still on line, but you can't contact them. If they then log off without checking the thread, it can be sometime before they return. Windows messenger has a feature where you can send a nudge to make your contact aware that you are trying to contact them. Would this be a useful feature to add?

dave
Dave I Totally agree with you and this would be great if it were to happen.

marjon

I am on Facebook only to see my nieces photos of new babies! Twitter I think is a waste of cyberspace = I think FHUK is perfect for what we genies want - I know of another Genealogy website that used Facebook which folded because of lack of interest. Old Handwriting and perhaps deciphering old Wills could be added somewhere! Personally, if its not broke - don't fix !:rolleyes:

joaning

Loyal Member
I don't use Twitter or Face book, I did join Facebook for a while but it wasn't my cup of tea. Having said that, I say if it doesn't compromise what we already have, I see no problems.:)

Excellent Idea Steve...

What About It Oh Great Forum Leaders

Regards,

Martin

Hi Fellow Researchers,

I actually joined Facebook a few months back with the hope of finding members of my family.

Imagine my surprise when I got "will you be my friend" requests from a niece, then a sister, another sister, another niece and lately a nephew. Which is wonderful as (a) I hadn't heard from them for over 7 years and (b) now I can pick their brains for info concerning our vast family.

Isn't it ironic though that although we live no less that 30 miles apart we still haven't meet up and just communicate via this website.

How times have changed...one could get into a very long debate as to the advantages/disadvantages of social networking sites but one thing that can not be over emphasised is the lack of security and the ignorance by the user.

It's all very well blaming Zuckerberg and co but I am amazed at the "whatever" attitude of certain people-especially the young.

I was checking-out my nieces facebook page as she had just won some horse riding thingy and came across certain photos that I'm sure Mummy and Daddy would not have approved of (she's 15) when I mentioned them to her she just laughed say "whatever -only my friends can see them" (forgetting her uncle was her "friend" and was rather embarrassed) redf)

I wanted to prove to her that in fact she was wrong and anyone could have access to them if the security settings were not set correctly.

To prove this point I did an experiment with her next to me and we went through her friends and friends of friends etc. to see how many I could access even though I wasn't part of their immediate network of friends (am I making sense here) anyway after only 20 mins I was able to access 42 different Facebook accounts just by clicking on the next friend of, friend of......

My niece was shocked and has passed on the warning to her friends and most of them have taken heed and altered their security settings.

Sorry to get off point - but suffice to say I do use Facebook- safely.

Regards,

Martin