• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Finding East End streets

M.R.Field

Website
oddsoracle.blogspot.com
Hi all, does anyone have an answer to finding streets in the East End? I realise they may have been bombed and/or redeveloped post War, but there must be indeces of street names to go with the various old maps??
Mike and Dave have very kindly taken me back to the early days of the rapid development of the area, but I cannot find a few roads.

Glaskin Road, Hackney

Hobson's Court, St. Dunstans, Stepney

Milton Rd, Bow or Stratford-le-Bow

St. Peter Street, West Side, Bethnal Green (though I have found one in Mile End)

Church Street, St. Dunstans, Stepney (think I might have that)

Then there is my Dad's old road until he left the area before the War:-

Cornwall Rd., which he told me was off Mile End Road.

Any ideas?

Martin

M.R.Field

Website
oddsoracle.blogspot.com
Josie,
I know the feeling. Trying to keep all these street names linked to the family names is giving me a headache!

Now I've found an index of street names, but no maps to go with them.
All I know is that an early address in the East End with ...Court in it, suggests the really bad hovels that existed.

Martin

dochines

Valued Member
Here's one of them I found in the Victorian AZ of London

St Peters Street.

Look at a modern map of the area and you will see Warner Pace running north south between Hackney Road and the junction of Gossett st and Old Bethnal Green Road. just to the right or east of Warner Place is a church with St Peters Square around it. St Peters Street is shown on the victorian map as being immediately east of Warner place and West of the church and would have linked to St peters Square and old Bethnal Geen road,

I hope that is helpful

dochines

dochines

Valued Member
Milton Rd is indexed in my Victorian map book but after searching the given square for ages I still cannot find it on the map

it is somewhere near the Eastern end of Old Ford road , Roman Road and Tredegar Road all of which are on the modern maps. This area is sometimes known as Old Ford but is really part of Bow

dochines

M.R.Field

Website
oddsoracle.blogspot.com
Hi Dochines,
I've spent far too much of today looking and have found nearly all of them now, but it takes some doing. I found the St. Peters St. you mention as separate from the first one I found and I think yours is the more likely.
I finally found Milton Road, but for some reason, whilst all around it are still there, Milton has become McCullum and is all twisted around on a mini-estate between St. Stephens and Armagh with a stub of Libra south of the estate.
Even those streets which still bear the original names are full of those hideous low rise and single modern houses and flats which remind me why I go nowhere near the place any more! Despite the fact that all (and I mean ALL) of my antecedents are from that comparatively small area. I found Glaskin road too after a very detailed reading session. It's up near the Cass estate around Well Street near Victoria Park, so I think I have the full set now.

Many thanks for finding St. Peters for me.

I really must do some work!

Cheers,
Martin

woodlander

Valued Member
Sorry Martin!

I've got so many names whizzing round in my head - I even dream about them - that I had yet another senior moment! Perhaps I should go and stand in the Wally Corner! :2fun:

Josie
Wally corner ? Put the kettle on Josie - Gibbo & self will join you for a brew and a blether :biggrin: - we will won't we Gibbo ? Escape from the eejits :biggrin: