• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Finding out which regiment?

jinch

Hi folks -

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask such a question but I'm hoping some knowledgeable person may be able to help.

I have recently bought a bakelite voltmeter that was used on D-Day by a member of the forces, and the seller has provided me with a little information on it and it's wartime owner:
"He had been a mechanic/soldier since being called up in 1941.He rode a motorbike & carried a satchel & side cases on the bike with tools etc in. If a troop carrier/truck broke down he would ride through the convoy line to the broken down vehicle & try to fix it with the items in his bag & carriers.This item he carried in his bag, perhaps he tested Battery strength or broken circuits with it?"

I was wondering if anyone knew if the owner would have been part of a specific regiment eg Royal Engineers, or is it more likely he would simply have had a specific role within a 'normal' regiment eg he may have fulfilled this role with, for example, the Durham Light Infantry or whoever?

Sorry if this seems a silly question but I am interested in finding out a bit more of the owner's history and while I have a name I don't have any regiment details, service information, etc. I would like to give the voltmeter to a friend as a gift in a fortnight or so and don't need / don't have time to find out detailed information, but I hoped some general information about the owner would be nice to pass on.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello jinch,

Possibly the RASC (the former) Royal Army Service Corps.

In the Australian Army it would have been the MT Coy AASC

Motor Transport Company Australian Army Service Corps.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

jinch

Hi Jinch

welcome

to the forum

Why not post the info you know, then someone may be able to find something

dave
Thanks for the welcome Dave!

To be honest I know very little more than what I posted, except that the owner was called 'Bill' Newton, was born in 1923 and died in 2007. I have put his name as 'Bill' as the seller of the item who knew him said that that was what he knew him as but he wasn't sure if it was definitely his name, if he was actually a William, if either Bill or William had been his middle or nickname rather than his genuine first name, etc.

Beyond that I know nothing else, and I don't want to pester the seller any further.

jinch

Hello jinch,

Possibly the RASC (the former) Royal Army Service Corps.

In the Australian Army it would have been the MT Coy AASC

Motor Transport Company Australian Army Service Corps.

Regards,

Dave
Many thanks, Dave - the RASC seems like a good starting point.

jinch

Hi
Not having much luck, its a common name and death records only go up to 2006.
Do you know what area he came from, if not him the seller

dave
The seller on eBay is down as Brigg (which I think is North Lincolnshire?) but no idea if this was the right area for the original owner.

Please don't go to any trouble hunting around - I didn't realise you were actually looking at records and the like!

Sniper

Hi Jinch,

Welcome to the forum. If this person was involved with convoy duties you can bet he was RASC. Each RASC unit would have had their own mechanics who would travel with the convoy and attend breakdowns. If he couldn't fix them then they would then be towed back to the unit's garage's and fixed there by either a RASC mechanic or if he couldn't do it then the vehicle would be inspected by the RE and either fixed by them or scrapped.

My bet is that your man is ex-RASC with possibly some mechanical training before being called up. Hope this helps.

Sniper