• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Fishgaurd to Rosslair 1914-1915

Steve thanks for your input. I accept what you are saying in general but there was a war on at the time and ships were being sunk in the Irish sea. In view of the implications of war and the danger of crossing the Irish sea at that time I feel there must have been some sort of record kept of people leaving and entering the UK. For example I know that people crossing from Rosslair to Fishgaurd in the early 1930's had to produce an identity card even though they were born in Wales. I know that Johanna McCarthy (Smyth) did cross the Irish sea via the above ports. Edward McCarthy was Probably with her and their three children. I know that the journey took place after October 1914 Johanna McCarthy died in her homeland Bryanstown County Wexford in December 1915. Edward McCarthy returned to wales via the above ports in 1915. I would be grateful for any information to fill in the gaps in my research. Thank you in anticipation AuntyMary

Gerard

Hello,

Ireland was still under English rule during the First World War so travel between the countries was considered internal travel. This is all quite complicated , but the Irish Republic was declared on 21st January 1919 and replaced by the Irish Free State on 6th December 1922 which was dissolved in 1937 when the Republic of Ireland was formed. This may explain why documentation had to be produced for travel in the 1930s.

During the Second World War (and possibly for some time after) the British Government issued Travel Identity Cards for travel between GB, NI or The Irish Republic. They were issued by the Passport Office and contained a picture of the holder, their name and their National Registration number. I still have my great aunt's card.

Gerard

Hi Gerard thanks for your input. My knowledge on Irish history is obviously very limited. I was hoping to find information about this particular couple and the hardships they must have suffered during this period of their lives.
AuntyMaryredf)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Irish Genealogy Roots 1