• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Florence Wilkinson is very confusing

duckweed

Loyal Member
I'm trying to establish Family links by census for Florence Wilkinson born about 1872 Sheffield She married Henry Sykes 1866 Sheffield a Scissor Smith in 1890 Sheffield. I can find her and Henry in 1901, but cannot find either in 1891. There is another Henry and Florence Sykes in 1891 but they are for a Henry Sykes razor grinder and a Florence Ashmore. Then there is more confusion, as in the 1901 census there is father Charles Wilkinson 1842 Sheffield and her sister Annie E Wilkinson 1878 Sheffield. However when I look for Florence with her father the only Florence I can find is down as daughter of Joseph Wilkinson 1840 and Elisabeth Wilkinson 1845. Joseph is Charles brother. Did they adopt her or is the 1901 wrong?

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hii Duckweed,

Found Florence and Henry in 1891 under Sytas.

Class RG12
Piece 3820
Folio 106
Page 16

Have you found her sister Annie in 1881?

Just thought are they the other couple!

Robesur

Who were Joseph & Charles' Parents? Where were they all in 1871.
Was Joseph the 32 year old Scissor filer who was living with his parents John & Sarah at 1 Beeley Street? Was Charles the 39 year old Scissor Filer living with wife Elizabeth 26 and son Charles 4 at 32 Cobden View?
In 1881 Charles marital status is not given, what happenned to Elizabeth & Charles as well as Florence. Joseph is now married to Elizabeth 37 and has a son Charles 15 and daughter Florence 8.
Is Elizabeth the same person! Did she swop husbands!

duckweed

Loyal Member
Thanks for the 1891 census, Ida must be the child that died who is mentioned in the 1911 census.
Charles in 1891 is with wife Elisabeth (nee Makin) born 1843 and there is daughter Ann. They are in Leicester Street, St George District Sheffield.In 1871 Charles and Elisabeth with son Charles are in Cobden View, district of Hallam, Sheffield. However Ann their daughter seems to have got new father in 1881 who is called William. Parents of all 3 multi parents are I think John Wilkinson 1812 Sheffield (died 1873) and Sarah Hibbard 1812 Sheffield married 1836 Rotherham. Charles is definitely with them in 1861 in London Road Ecclesall Bierlow Sheffield.

Robesur

Do you not think that the Elizabeth wife of Joseph in 1881 and son Charles 15, is the same Elizabeth and son Charles 4 who were wife & son of Charles in 1871? Joseph was unmarried in 1871, how else does he acquire a 15 year old son in 1881?