• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

FMP update

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
I heard a rumour that FMP was being taken over by Family Search.org, so on their usual Friday afternoon broadcast on FB, I asked that question and this is the reply they sent me

"Hi Amanda. Findmypast has selected FamilySearch, curators of the largest shared tree in the world with 1.2 billion unique ancestor names, as partners with our new Family Tree. You can find more information at the following page - https://www.findmypast.co.uk/worldtree"

So does this mean any trees we have on FMP are to be made public??

Amanda

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
As I understand it, you are invited to join the Global Family Tree. Invited, is the word.
I would think, if your tree is private, you could open it up to view and add to the global tree.
Have you asked them about being a private tree, and if it will remain that way.;)

QUOTE; Users who have, and prefer, a Findmypast private tree can continue to use that feature. Users with Findmypast private trees will be able to migrate their tree(s) to the global tree in the future if they wish.

Steve.:)

sandyjose

I have had a subscription with Ancestry for years and the other day,researching someone I was directed to another site which turned out to be FMP for a record I was looking for.There didn't seem to be a way of adding info to my tree on Ancestry.

Ellie7

Loyal Member
I thought Familysearch had been taken over by Ancestry a few years back. It must be Familysearch that wants FMP ,because they are Church oriented.

Ellie

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
I thought Familysearch had been taken over by Ancestry a few years back. It must be Familysearch that wants FMP ,because they are Church oriented.

Ellie

Yes that's the rumour I heard, it went as far as to say Family Search would make everything free, but I don't see that happening. FMP say that Family Search is a partner, I think we will have to play a wait and see game. I have found some of my family already on the World tree, so although I didn't add them someone else has.

Amanda

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Years ago I found some of my 17c Adamsons from Rothwell Parish had been made LDS. Somebody belonging to the church will do this.

Ellie

Ellie7

Loyal Member
I don't think it is a coincidence that the person running Ancestry is based in Utah. My Dau.passed throught Salt lake City a few years back and wondered what the large building were about.:) You must have a near spotless tree to advance in LDS.

Ellie

Last edited:

Ellie7

Loyal Member
There we go.
FamilySearch is a genealogy organization operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was previously known as the Genealogical Society of Utah and is the largest genealogy organization in the world. Wikipedia
Owner: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Date launched: 24 May 1999
Type of site: Genealogy
Available in: English language, Standard Chinese, MORE
Nominations: Shorty Industry Award for Best Multicultural Community Engagement

Ellie

I do no when I was in Ancestry FB and trying to get a gedcom for 3mths ,at one point I got fed up and deleted my tree ,but they asked if I wanted it back on Ancestry so I went with that ,but I still had to delete my tree without a gedcom. I thought I was safe as yrs ago there was a tree 52000+
Now I think it was because they coundn't get a gedcom.

Ellie

Ellie7

Loyal Member
18 July 2017
For decades Ancestry has been a leader in the family history arena. Today it is the largest commercial family history research site. With 20 billion records from 80 countries and 80 million family trees boasting 8 billion names, Ancestry has something to offer just about everyone. A partnership between Ancestry and FamilySearch allows members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to enjoy a free membership to the Ancestry site. Besides the extensive number of records, family tree names, and other resources, Ancestry also has many features that allow for seamless integration between Ancestry and FamilySearch, helping you more effectively find your ancestors.

Ellie

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Importing Your FamilySearch Tree. The usual way of transferring family tree information between programs has been to create and then import a GEDCOM, a file nearly universally recognized across family history software. But Ancestry has made importing your tree so much easier. With Ancestry you can import up to 4 generations of your FamilySearch family tree directly into Ancestry. To do this:

From the navigation bar, choose Trees.
Select Import Tree from FamilySearch.
Once an individual has been imported, visit his or her profile screen. In the upper right corner, click the FamilySearch icon.
From the options that appear, select Add relatives from FamilySearch. This allows you to add immediate family members or add an additional 4 generations to the end of a line. In this way, you can continue to expand your family tree in Ancestry.

I don't get when I choose trees ?

Think i'll leave again ,was going to anyway before next payment is due.
Is there anywhere left safe .

Ellie

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Keep in mind that you can also search Ancestry records from FamilySearch. To do this:

Go to the Person screen of the individual.
On the right of the screen, find the Search Records box.
Select Ancestry or a different FamilySearch partner to search. You will be told you are leaving the FamilySearch site and then be shown possible matches from Ancestry (or another selected partner).

Must try that out

Ellie

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Think i'll leave again ,was going to anyway before next payment is due.
Is there anywhere left safe .

Ellie
The only place that may be safe for the moment is My Heritage, it boasts millions of records but I think it's more expensive than Ancestry.

Amanda

Ellie7

Loyal Member
I have moved to FMP ,but I don't have a tree on line now. I use FS a lot put as I look for other people they won't know who to follow.:) same with Ances.

Ellie

added-Ances.cut you of straight away now ,when you used to get up till next payment due.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
emeltee FHUK General Chat Room 0
ptjw7 FHUK General Chat Room 4
Alison120 Genealogy General Help 4
ptjw7 FHUK General Chat Room 4
emeltee FHUK General Chat Room 1
ptjw7 FHUK General Chat Room 0