• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

'Formerly Custodian' on 1881 Census

A person who has responsibility for taking care of or protecting something.

A Person who worked in a prison.

Custodian of pension and insurance funds.

A person entrusted with guarding or maintaining a property.

It depends what his occupation was in other census, or on marriage or birth records.:)

Steve.:)

It may help if you can give the census ref numbers.. Piece, Folio and Page number
At a guess it is someone who has been looking after a child and isn't now, maybe because the child had reached adulthood

'A legal guardian or conservator (law) may be called a custodian in some jurisdictions'

dave

A person who has responsibility for taking care of or protecting something.

A Person who worked in a prison.

Custodian of pension and insurance funds.

A person entrusted with guarding or maintaining a property.

It depends what his occupation was in other census, or on marriage or birth records.:)

Steve.:)

Thanks for replying. Yes, I understand what a custodian means but wondered if it had a special meaning on a census. I'm having a job finding any other info about an occupation on previous censuses. I'm just about to respond to the other reply from davelambert271 with Census references. :)

It may help if you can give the census ref numbers.. Piece, Folio and Page number
At a guess it is someone who has been looking after a child and isn't now, maybe because the child had reached adulthood

'A legal guardian or conservator (law) may be called a custodian in some jurisdictions'

dave

Hi. Thanks for responding. The Census ref is 1881 England Piece: 3600
Folio: 10 Page Number: 17

The person is Sarah Walker. Thank you. :)

Hi. I have replied to p.risboy & davelambert271. I just hope I've posted it properly. The only other census entry I can find for Sarah Walker is on 1871 England Piece: 3759 Folio: 135 Page Number:17 On this she is listed as a Beerhouse Keeper but it looks like the same person because of her son Matthew.

Back