• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Frank Locke - Royal Navy

ianto73

Valued Member
The above named was my grandfather, and according to family info, he was born on 29 February 1888. For the last 7 years, his birth registration has not been found, yet it is this name that appears on his wedding certificate in 1914. There was a photo of him in naval uniform, date unknown, so does anyone know if, with this basic information, his service record could be found, despite the confusion we have encountered to date?
HELP!!

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ian,

I've had a look on the National Archives Kew 'Royal Naval Seaman'.
I didnt spot any online reords to match Franks date of birth. Used various spelling eg Francis/Lock.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp

What other info was there on the marriage certificate, fathers name, witnesses they could be relatives of Franks and also the area he was born.

ianto73

Valued Member
Thanks for reply. The information taken from the Marriage Certificate is as follows:-
Frank Roland Locke - 26 years - collier - father given as :-
John William Locke (deceased) - Osier-Trimmer
Emma Maria Stafford - 22 years
Residence 18 Hamer Street, St Helens
Witnesses:-
George Dootson
Rose Wainwright

Emma Maria was born in Peatling Parva Leicestershire and was on 1911 census still living with her parents - the Stafford side is sorted out as far back as 1645.
In the back of my mind, I'm sure my late mother (eldest child Leonie Clara born 1915), said her dad was an orphan and had several brothers/sisters - but even my cousin who spoke to our grandmother more than I ever did (being local) did not know of this - the mind boggles!!
We have considered the possibility of a name change somewhere along the line, but who knows?
Many thanks again
Brian

ianto73

Valued Member
Latest info gained on this saga is:-

Frank Roland Locke joined as a "Boy Seaman at the age of 15" and was the youngest of 4 or 5 brothers who ALL joined the Navy. He trained a signaller but his eyesight failed him and he was discharged before WWI when he would have been around 26 years - if his birthdate of 29 Feb 1888 is correct. It is possible 2 of his brothers lost their lives in WWI and I have checked the CWGC list for the "Locke's" that lost their lives. It transpires there are 4 possibles but without the "e" at the end of Locke.

My question now is, is there any way of finding out if any of the following were brothers:-
Alfred Lock L/Seaman 42 years died 23/12/1917
Frederick James Lock Sailmaker 30 years died 01/01/1915
George Lock Able Seaman 29 years died 09/08/1915
Walter Henry Lock Able Seaman 31 years died 01/12/1914

I know that a birth certificate of Frank Roland would resolve a lot of my problems, but it hasn't been uncovered over 7 years, so I struggle on through brick walls, won't hold my breath.

Diolch

brian

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Brian,

No doubt you would have checked the 1891 census to see if anything shows up in them, if not could be worth a try. Also i have come across births that dont appear to have been registered, do you think that could be a possibility here?

ianto73

Valued Member
Gibbo, very many thanks, I am the proud owner of 2 grandfathers which is turning out to be "skeletons in the cupboard syndrome", and if that is not bad enough they both married some-one with the first name "Emma".
My cousin tried for 7 years to get Frank's birth certificate to no avail, and three of us (includes the one cousin brought up by our grandparents) do not know where he was actually born. The fact that all brothers joined the Navy could mean that my late mother's comment her dad was an orphan could be right - I can easily understand that was the only way these kids could get out of the system they were in - by choosing a similar one but with food, bed and more importantly getting paid for it.
To date, at my age, I've avoided going grey, but this could send me down that road very quickly indeed...must have been a bad boy to have all this grief!!:2fun::2fun::biggrin::biggrin:
TTFN
Brian

ianto73

Valued Member
Lee, many thanks, didn't know that site existed, but it does give room for thought.

Gibbo, if he was an orphan, as my late mother said, and all the brothers joined the Navy, I can't see being born outside of England in the frame, many thanks anyway, I'll have a scotch now...............probably a very large one!:biggrin::biggrin:
Brian

gibbo

Loyal Member
Lee, many thanks, didn't know that site existed, but it does give room for thought.

Gibbo, if he was an orphan, as my late mother said, and all the brothers joined the Navy, I can't see being born outside of England in the frame, many thanks anyway, I'll have a scotch now...............probably a very large one!:biggrin::biggrin:
Brian

I thought it would be a long shot but ... Ok so maybe who ever took him in might have had the surname Locke so he could have been born under another name maybe. just throwing some ideas around, but you probably have covered all of them anyway:biggrin:

What no morning tea today just straight to the hard stuff:2fun::2fun:

ianto73

Valued Member
Being a bit slow at all this, I checked the CWGC list of "Lock/e's" and found that a John William Locke lost his life on 30/12/1915 and was the son of
John William Locke & Esther Jane Locke of 31 Owen Street, Eastney, Portsmouth.
John William Locke is listed as father to Frank Roland on his marriage certificate, but IS THERE A CONNECTION?

It would be interesting to find out who lived at the above address for the 1891 and 1901 census....is Frank Roland there? Clutching at straws, I know!

By the way, Gibbo, I only mentioned "scotch" to see if anyone was reading my dribble!!!

Brian