• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Frank Newton 1882

Hi i am looking for a death/burial for my grt grandad Frank Newton 1882, i know he was born in Stalybridge cheshire, and can trace him up to 1911 were he is still living at home on Church Street Stalybridge, i believe he married a Mary Ellis Taylor no dates, ive searched the local cemeteries were his brothers etc are buried but to know avail, my grt grandparents had 5 children i know about,
James
Frederick
Albert
Frank
and my grandad Stanley Herbert Newton 1922, would love to find them can anyone help pls

Hi Shelley,

I had a quick search on Genes Reunited and there are 2 people who have made family trees with 'Frank Newton born in 1882 in Stalybridge'.

It may be worth logging on there and getting in contact with them. The names of the people with the trees are Philip and Mark.

Lauren :)

Hi Shelley
I think you may have the wrong person for your Grt Grandparents. It would appear that Mary Ellis Taylor married another Frank Newton

NEWTON, Frank Head Married M 36 1875 Cotton Worker In Mill Dukinfield Cheshire
NEWTON, Mary Ellis Wife Married 10 years F 33 1878 Cotton Yarn Reeler Barrown in Furness Lancs

I presume your gran was still a taylor, as I have found these births
between Newton and Taylor, which may or may not be yours - all born Ashton under Lyne district
Frank I J/S 1911
Albert O/D 1913
Christopher J/M 1917
James J/M 1917
Fred O/D 1919
Stanley H J/M 1922
Holmes T J/M 1925

dave

Last edited:

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Dave
Mary Taylor has the middle of Ellis right?
The marriage you found for Ellis isn't correct?
Frank was at home in census between 1910 & 1912 so I presume he wasn't married then?
Poster has found Stalybridge, I can't ??

Tks
ozn:)

Last edited:
Hi Dave
Mary Taylor has the middle of Ellis right?
The marriage you found for Ellis isn't correct?
Frank was at home in census between 1910 & 1912 so I presume he wasn't married then?
Poster has found Stalybridge, I can't ??

Tks
ozn:)
Hi Ozn
I was trying to find the marriage, and the only one I could find for a Frank Newton was to Mary Elleanor E Taylor in Sep qtr 1900 at Ashton ref 8d 864.
On the latest census this Frank is with Mary Ellis in Dunkerfield

As Shelly's Frank was at home in Stalybridge single, it would appear that this marriage was not his. I was therefore trying to get establish that Lauren has the right Grandparents.
dave

Last edited:
Dunkinfield and Stalybridge are a couple of miles due East (to the right) of Ashton under Lyne, which is also due east of Manchester, just on the outskirts.

dave
Hi the middle name ellis is correct as I have my grandad(Stanley Herbert Newtons birth cert. I also know they lived on bridge street which is on the stalybridge/dukinfield border. Regards shelly

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi everyone :)
Birth Rego
Stanley H Newton 1st qtr 1922 Ashton Lancs
maiden Taylor.
James H 1917, Fred 4th qtr 1919.
Dave has already listed these along with Christopher & Holmes.
Perhaps they died young as not listed by Lauren or a diffo family.

ozn

Last edited:
Hi everyone :)
Birth Rego
Stanley H Newton 1st qtr 1922 Ashton Lancs
maiden Taylor.
James H 1917, Fred 4th qtr 1919.
Dave has already listed these along with Christopher & Holmes.
Perhaps they died young as not listed by Lauren or a diffo family.

ozn
hi thanks to all of you who have helped me find the newtons i have now placed all the newton/taylor boys but cannot place the girls which lauren supplied, niether can i find a death date or burial for Mary Ellis Newton Nee taylor so looks like im gonna have to spend some time in the Ashton library and hope i turn something up there, can i also please ask what is the census which cant be named. im sure someone on here mentioned it lol Thanks Again to you all :)

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hello me dear
1911 census has copyright etc rules.
Although nothing to stop you having a look in their
free search.

ozn :)

quick question.. was Frank born 1882 the son of Cheetham Brooks Newton?
What a marvellous name
Please can you list the girls names that Lauren found Tks

Last edited:
Just to add that Ches BMD have a death for a Frank Newton
Ashton Under Lyne in 1946 aged 64 yrs bn 1882c.

ozn
Hi oz thanks for your reply here is what I've got on the girls. MARY A (1927) Lillian E (1934) Noreen (1934). I cannot find anything on them.Mary Ellis must of been getting on if these girls are hers lol . And also like you I also believe that my Frank 1882 did die in 1946. Although I cannot yet find a burial for him or Mary ellis. I think I'm gonna have to book a session in the Ashton under lyne library and see if they've got it. I have however found a couple of franks brothers in a graveyard that faces Mary ellis last address in stalybridge Cheshire. So they could be in there with a bit of luck and just had there headstones removed..... And as for cheetham he got his fab name from a mix of his mothers name ann brooks and her mothers name Elizabeth cheetham. I wish I'd been a bit more thoughtful when choosing my childrens names but I don't think a first name of smith porritt would of gone down well with them. I do know that when I get my hands on the 2011 census next year I wil be puttning my maiden name of porritt in the middle just to make it easier for future generations to come find me lol. Regards to you michelle PORRITT dunn.