• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Frederick Augustus RAMSAY

No 2
Frederick Augustus Ramsay Bachelor Bombay Grazier 37 Gunning John Skardon Ramsay Major-General Bombay
Kate Maria McGregor Spinster Dublin - 28 Yass Robt. Gregor McGregor Mary Bukher ? Government Officer Dublin Ireland
married in St Clement's Church Yass
February 8th 1875 By me W. H. H. Yarrington
Both signed
Witnesses: Joshua Shipway, Eliza Kugm ? Shipway

Frederick Augustus Ramsay was my great Grandfather. A lot of the information in this thread I can provide references for. I even have a photo of Him and his wife Kate. I am interested in anything else about him and why people are interested. I'm happy to share what I have.
regards
Ralph

Hello Ralph,

welcome to FHUK

I'll have to refresh my memory re this topic.

Regards,

Dave

In my tree by this marriage but not a direct line:

# 380/1910 FLETCHER JOHN A - RAMSAY LILIAN G - SYDNEY

The Sydney Morning Herald - Saturday 26 February 1910 p.12
MARRIAGES
FLETCHER - RAMSAY.-Febuary 14, at Sydney, by the Rev. J. A. Waddell, John Archibald, youngest son of the late William Reid Fletcher, Merlewood, Oatley, to Lilian Gertrude, third daughter of the late Frederick Augustus Ramsay and Mrs. Ramsay, of Wallamba, Aubrey-street, Stanmore.

The Sydney Morning Herald - Thursday 23 January 1936 p.6
VETERAN MINISTER.
Rev. J. A. Waddell Death.
MEMORIES OF BUSHRANGERS.
The Rev. John A. Waddell, who retired from the Methodist ministry 11 years ago, died at his home at Rockdale yesterday morning, aged 91 years...

And this marriage:

# V1854445 85/1854 FLETCHER ARCHIBALD - TURNER SARAH J IQ= Wesleyan Methodist Goulburn/Gunning/Yass

Wesleyan Marriages in Goulburn Circuit
Archibald Fletcher of Sydney
Sarah Jane Furner of Goulburn
20 Sep 1854 By me Benjamin Hurst of Goulburn
Witnesses: Charles Furner, Elizabeth ...?

My grandmother is a FURNER.

Birth Date 28 - Jan
Birth Year 1837
Baptised Surname Ramsay
*** Male
LDS Film Reference None
IOR Reference None
Source Name East India Register
Source Year 1838
Source Edition 1
Source Presidency Bombay
Source Event Birth
Entry At Ahmednuggur, the lady of Brev. Capt. J.S. Ramsay, 4th N.I., of a son.
Transcribed by FIBIS Volunteers

That's Frederick Augustus. His father became a Major General in India but I can't find anything on either of them.

Don't know if J S = John Syme.

This may be a grandson.

JOHN SYME RAMSAY 1885 ? 9220 — militia service records 1806-1915

Wrong middle name:

No. 2
Frederick Augustus Ramsay Bachelor Bombay Grazier 37 Gunning John Skardon Ramsay Major-General Bombay
Kate Maria McGregor Spinster Dublin - 28 Yass Robt. Gregor McGregor Mary Bukher ? Government Officer Dublin Ireland
married in St Clement's Church Yass
February 8th 1875 By me W. H. H. Yarrington
Both signed
Witnesses: Joshua Shipway, Eliza Kugm ? Shipway

Last edited:
I've looked on both sites and can't find anything.

John Skardon Ramsay was in the army long enough to rise to rank of Major-General so I expected to find him on one of the lists.

Last edited:
Back