• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Frederick Garner - 1911

Hi Elaine
The results are back - as you rightly assumed. Fred was registered in the 3rd quarter, on the 5th July. The birth date came back correct 27/5/1911 and no mention of his father. The mother was Elizabeth Maud Powell, living at 21 Boughey Street, Stoke on Trent, although when I looked on the 1911 census the Powell family and her were living at 17 Boughey Street. So the house number could have been a mistake on the birth certificate, perhaps.

My family are very grateful and I'm so glad that you have been able to unravel the family mystery of my grandad. Especially as all his siblings are a live and are busy trying to think if they knew or know any Powells in the area that are possibly blood related.

Thanks once again :)

stockpot

Valued Member
I am delighted to see we had the correct birth!

I have been looking at this Powell family and it seems your granddad had quite a few cousins on his mother's side. Elizabeth Maude is mentioned in several trees on Ancestry but no one seems to know what became of her.

Your granddad was probably named after her younger brother Frederick who was "not quite blind" in 1911.

You save your family are trying to think of Powells that they knew, it may also be worth thinking of other surnames too, for instance Elizabeth's elder sister Eleanor married Alfred Butler. Her daughter, also Eleanor (b1910) married John Ellis in 1940 and another daughter Edith (b 1927) married George Sambrook in 1948.

Good luck with your search and do post any other queries if you need further help.

Elaine

stockpot

Valued Member
PS re the birth being at 21 Boughey St and the family living at 17 Boughey St - I think for some reason the baby was born next door but one to the family home. I thought Mrs Turnbull at 21 may have been an aunt but she wasn't. Maybe she was just a family friend helping out at a difficult time.

Elaine