• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Frederick Holding - New York & Texas

christineoa

Hi all,

I am trying to find out a bit more about my Gt Grandfather's brother Frederick, Elijah Holding who was born in 1868, West London, UK. He left the UK in 1891 arriving in New York on 15th June 1891.

Frederick married Emily, Susan Banard in 1899, Waco, Texas and they had 4 children; Dorothy, Helena 1900, Clara, L c1904, Charles, Barnard 1907 and Clare, c1909.

Has anyone got free access to US records as I would like to know if any of Frederick and Emily's children married? The other thing I am interested to find out is if Emily sailed to New York at the same time as Frederick? Unfortunately my subscription with Ancestry does not allow me to look at the passenger lists. :( I have been told that Emily is also English by birth and was born in Bethnal Green, London.

Any help would be very much appreciated. :biggrin:

Many thanks in advance.

Chris :wink:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Chris,

Is this the family.

Name: Fred Holding
[Ford Holding]
Home in 1920: Waco Ward 4, McLennan, Texas
Est birth year: abt 1870
Birthplace: England

Spouse's name: Emily
[Helleni]
Father's Birth Place: England
Mother's Birth Place: England
Married
Home owned

Fred Holding 50
Emily Holding 48
Dorthy Holding 19
Clare Holding 11
Bernard Holding 9
James Barnard 60 (looks like another name for your tree, maybe) Down as 'Roomer'. ??
Helleni Barnard 50

all difficult to read.

Steve.:)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
This MAYBE him.

Name: Mr. F Holding
Arrival Date: 28 Sep 1891
Birth Year: abt 1868
: English

Port of Dep: London, England
Destination: Texas
Port: New York
Port State: New York
United States
Ship Name: Tower Hill

Steve.:)

christineoa

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the speedy reply! Yes it is definitely the right family as the address Waco Ward 4 rings bells with me. :)

That's brilliant and gives me a bit more to be going on with.

Thanks ever so much.

All the best

Christine :biggrin:

christineoa

Yes that info regarding Mr F Holding could well be him. However, someone else researching the Holdings seems to think he left via Liverpool and Ireland! But as I don't have any concrete evidence to support this I only have this listed as a possibility. :(

I shall definitely make a note of what you have just told me regarding Frederick as this could be the right information.

Thanks again
Chris :)

christineoa

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info regarding Fred & wife in 1930. I know he passed away that year Emily lived until 1952.

Any ideas what Fred did for a job? :biggrin:

Chris :)

Here are some additional details on Fred Holding (my great grandfather):

Frederick Elijah Holding
b. 24 Oct 1868, West London, UK
d. 22 Dec 1930, Waco, Texas
marr. 5 Aug 1899, Waco, Texas to
Emily Susan Barnard
b. 30 Jan 1871, Bethnal Green, UK
d. 17 Jul 1952, Waco, Texas

Fred Holding had a variety of jobs throughout his adult life, but he mostly worked as a grocery clerk and warehouseman.

Fred left London, England on the S.S. Tower Hill on 12 Sep 1891, arriving New York City 28 Sep 1891. He traveled with Arthur Sutcliffe, Arthur's wife Elizabeth (Barnard) Sutcliffe, and their son Frederick Sutcliffe. Elizabeth Mary Barnard, Arthur's wife, was the older sister of Emily Susan Barnard, who Fred Holding married 8 years later. The Tower Hill appears to have been a cattle boat, transporting cattle from USA to England, and they were on the boat during a return trip to the USA. I do not have the specific date for Emily Barnard's emigration to the US--she is listed in the 1891 Census in Lambeth with her mother, and I believe she came over in 1891, but there are several "E. Barnard" female entries that are possibilities.

Fred and Emily Holding had three children:

(1) Dorothy Helena Holding
b. 1 Jul 1900, Waco, Texas
d. 28 Oct 1977 [place unknown]
marr: 1923 to Charles B. Harman, Jr.
b. 1899, [place unknown]
d. [unknown]
Charles and Dorothy Harman did not have any children

(2) Clare Lucille Holding
b. 20 Jan 1904, Waco, Texas
d. 8 Aug 1999, Humble, Texas
marr: 29 Sep 1923 to Edmund William Hunke
b. 3 Oct 1901, Taylor, Texas
d. 6 Oct 1970, Waco, Texas
Ed and Clare Hunke had six children.

(3) Charles Barnard Holding
b. 17 Aug 1907, Waco, Texas
d. 31 May 1991, Waco, Texas
marr: 1 Sep 1929, Waco, Texas to Frances Mildred Gauntt
b. 17 Apr 1910, Athens, Texas
d. 14 Jun 1999, Waco, Texas
Barnard and Frances Holding had three children.

Let me know if you would like additional information--happy to share. I would love to hear about your Holding line as well.

Jimmy P. Hunke
Springfield, VA, USA

Email address removed for security reasons. After several moderated posts the PM (Personal Message) system will be available to you and you may place your email address in a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello bluegenes,

Google spiders are constantly trawling this and in fact all sites. In the time it took me to notice the email address and remove it, as required by this site's rules, it could have been captured by Google.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks so much for your reply regarding Fred Holding and family. I have sent you a message via this site which you should find when you log in and have given you my email address so you can contact me.

If you tell me what you already know about Frederick's family then I can fill you in on any missing gaps that you have.

Am so glad you replied as I was keen to find out about my Gt Grandfather's brother who went to the USA. Hopefully we can help each other out a lot more. :biggrin:

I have found these forums to be really, really useful and everyone is always so friendly and helpful. :)

Bye for now.
Christine

Hi Jimmy,

I was unable to send you a private message as it says you either don't want to receive them or are unable to but, I believe it to be the latter as you are a new member and I don't think this site allows you to send or receive private messages until you have added a few posts!

Anyway just thought I would fill you in about myself and the HOLDING family. I am the Great Granddaughter of Frederick Holding's brother Goddard who was born in 1865, Lambeth. Goddard married Harriet Beale at the Parish Church St Stephen in Walworth, London on 01/04/1888. They had ten children that I know of including my Granddad William, Frederick Holding who was born in 1899.

If you are interested then I have a photo of Goddard, his wife, some of their children and grandchildren. The picture was taken around 1922 and if you are interested I can email it to you? Do you have any photos of Fred and his family or his parents?

look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Christine

Hi Christine,

Regarding your private message, actually yesterday early morning I did see a private message from you (Many thanks!) which included your private email address, but I did not copy down your address before closing the message. Unfortunately I found out later in the day that I could not re-access your private message--presumably because I am a new member and have not made the requisite number of posts to this forum to qualify for private message status/service. I contacted the webmaster to see if he would allow me to re-access the private message, but I gather he instead contacted you. So, thank you for reaching out again.

If you are willing, could you please send me another private message with your private email address (which I believe I can access on a one time basis, based on my earlier experience)? I do have photos of Fred and Emily Holding that I'm happy to share, and am very interested to share and learn other information about our Holding (and Hornigold) families.

I apologize for the confusion. As a new forum user, I am still trying to figure out the rules and protocol. I truly appreciate your patience.

With best regards,
Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

I have been reliably informed that once you have made 3 moderated posts then the private messaging system will be available to you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Christine