• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Frederick James Palmer

pembsgal

hello all,
I am searching for my paternal Grandfather, his name was Frederick James Palmer and he was born in 1918 in Whitby.

He married Blodwyn Palmer in 1941 at St Katherines Church, Milford Haven when he was 23 and she was 19 (she isn't surviving) I need as much info as possible and feel like I am searching for needles in haystacks at present.

I have their marriage cert, this shows his address at the time as HMS Rook (although this could be Rooke)

any help would be soooooo appreciated.

Kind regards
Jayne

Frederick J Palmer born A/J 1918 Whitby ref 9d 682
sister - Gladys M born J/S 1916

mother Locker

Marriage William T Palmer to Jane E Locker Dec 1910 Whitby ref 9d 1039

1901 census - RG13-4559-54-14
William Locker 32 Whitby, Road Labourer
Hannah E 31, Whitby
John W 14 Whitby Grocers errand boy
Jane E 12 Whitby
Fred 3 Whitby
Winifred 5 Whitby
James 1 Whitby

1891 census - RG 12-3994-10-14
William 25
Hannah E 22
John W 4
Jane E 1

dave

pembsgal

OMGosh THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

I've tried to send you a private message but can't? :/
However did you get all that? Theres some info I need to give you, I'm not able to private msg you so could you please send me your email?

Thank you

pembsgal

Malcolm died aged only 6 weeks :(
Frederick was stationed at HMS rooke or rook according to his marriage certificate. There is not a lot of information on the net regarding rook though

Thank you ever so much for your help

oznannie

Loyal Member
Great findings peeps!

In the census taken 10 yrs after 1901 in Whitby.
Some more little Lockers :)
William 44, Hanah Elizabeth 41, John Wm 23, Winifred 15, Fred 13, James 11, Hannah Mary 8, Norah 6, Ernest Joseph 3, Stephen Miles 1yr.

oznannie

pembsgal

Thank you so verymuch for all help I appreciate it so much.
I'm wondering if the Locker is a connection though as my Great Grandfathers name according to myGrandfathers marriage certificate is William Frederick - the William whomarried Jane Locker was william T .....
Soooo confusing but sooo addictive!

Hi Jayne
I think you are on the right Locker family. On the latest census Emily Palmer nee Locker is, living with her family. She has been married 3 months, which ties in with the Mge record. I think the only ref we have of William with the 2nd initial T is on this marriage record. This could easily have been a mistranslation of F. So far I can't find any William Palmer who you could say with certainty, he's the one. It may help if we knew his fathers name and where he came from.
dave

pembsgal

Death Registration November 1991
Reg district Canterbury Kent
Frederick James Palmer
birth 31 May 1918
Age at death 73
vol 16 page 356

So it appears Frederick died in 1991 - twenty years ago so here I am twenty years too late *sad*

Now i need to know what happened to him, what did he do with his life etc etc, it's not over yet, I have to keep searching

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi :)
Fredk Jas Palmer who died in 1981 was born 31st May 1918.
There's another with the same name also died in Canterbury born 20 Feb 1918 died in june qtr 1981.
Just thought I'd mention him.
Cheers
Oznannie

sorry typo with death year amended.

Last edited:

pembsgal

I wont stop searching until I can close this chapter, and I can't close it until i know a. who he was, b. what he was like, c. where he lived and what he did, d. what happened to him.

If he's dead like I suspect I truly hope I can visit where he has been put to rest to pay my respects to a man circumstances made sure I never ever had a chance to meet, or know.

It's a truly tragic story but I've come this far and can't turn back.