• Family History UK policy on the posting of census transcriptions:

    British Census images and data are Crown Copyright.

    The National Archives has relinquished Crown Copyright on documents within its control provided certain conditions are met. Basically you must ensure that the information is accurate, in context and you are required to include
    (a) an acknowledgement that the record is in the care of TNA
    (b) the full reference of the document.

    Where you have posted information that is Crown Copyright, you MUST add the following statement:
    "This information Crown Copyright and is from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

    For complete guidance, please view the Copyright statement from The National Archives at: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/legal/copyright.htm

    You MUST also ensure you remove any details that identify the transcription as being from a particular subscription site,
    and you MUST ensure that by posting transcriptions that you personally do not break any licence agreements or any terms of use set by other organisation's or subscription sites.

    Please report all Copyright Infringements to:
    Forum Moderator or Admin or directly to via our contact form.
  • All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

    Please read the following:

    Read the current rules of the forum

    Thank you

    If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Frederick Mepsted - anything before 1881?


Trying to track my Gt Gt Grandfather - Frederick Mepsted.

I've got him on 1881 & 1891 - with DOB as 1855 in 1881 and 1857 in 1891.

His place of birth is given as St Giles, London, which matches with a Apr-Jun 1855 record on FreeBMD.

I can't find him on any other census returns though. Even a general search on Findmypast only brings up the 1881 & 91 returns.

The only explanation I can think of is that he went by a different name at some point in his life?

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to try and get a birth certificate to try and find out more, but can anyone advise on any other courses of action?


Similar threads