• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

free BMD

pee wee

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any sites that offer free lookups to the England & Wales BMD other than Ancestry.co.uk.?
I tried access ing the lists today but the access is restricted and automatically goes to the 14day trial page if I try to view a listing. I don't run a credit card, so this effectively puts an end to searching for me on their site:(

Any ideas anyone

Peta

pee wee

Hi Julie & Ed,

Thanks for the links. I already use Freebmd but as they are still transcribing somethings only showed up on Ancestry.
Will try the other sites as well Ed! .:)
Got a reply from Ancestry when I queried them. You can now only access the freebmd through the 14day trial or paid subscription. It needs a credit card definately so that puts paid to me & many others using them :mad:

Thanks for your help.

Peta

ps: If you know of an online parish register for Kettering, Northamptonshire. Let me know

Last edited:

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi Peewee,

Got a reply from Ancestry when I queried them. You can now only access the freebmd through the 14day trial or paid subscription. It needs a credit card definately so that puts paid to me & many others using them
FreeBMD is still free! And as far as I know, it will always be free! Maybe when you spoke to Ancestry the meant their own BMD (Not FreeBMD!).

You did get me worried there - especially as all the transcribing is done by enthusiasts - such as you and me - and for that reason it would rally be naughty to charge for access.

All the best,
Dave

pee wee

Hi Dave,

Below is a copy of the response from Ancestry to my email. It definately refers to the freebmd. I can see no way around this annoyance. I need a credit card to access the free 14 day trial. I don't have one. Unless they revert back to the original format I'm blocked. :'(

Any bright ideas around this???

Cheers Peta

Subject
access to free bmd

Discussion Thread
Response (Kimberly) 07/20/2007 02:21 PM
Dear Peta,

We appreciate your message.

Access to the Free BMD now requires either a paid subscription or 14 day free trial.

If you have not already obtained one, you can activate a 14 day free trial to Ancestry.com by simply visiting the following URL:

http://landing.ancestry.com/freetrial/discover.aspx

This page will allow you to sign up for a 14 day free trial to the US Deluxe subscription collection.

PLEASE NOTE: Only one free trial offering is available per member, so if you have already obtained one of these in the past, you will most likely not be able to get this trial offering.

A credit card is required to activate your 14 day free trial in order to reserve your paid annual subscription. You will not be charged during the initial 14 days, and you may cancel your membership during that time without risk of being charged. If you do not cancel your membership within your 14 free days, your credit card will be charged for a year of access to over 2 billion names included within these data collections on Ancestry.com. The annual price for this subscription is $179.40. (The exact price may vary according to promotional offers, etc.)

If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.

Kimberly
Member Solutions
Ancestry.com
http://ancestry.custhelp.com/
[/COLOR]

pee wee

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I'll take you up on the offer when I get myself organised.

Further to Ancestry's answer to me. I sent another email to them outlining the problem in stronger terms, but still nicely. :biggrin:
They answered that they were looking to resolve the problem. So hopefully they will return to how it was before.
Shall I hold my breath waiting ??

Cheers Peta

pee wee

Another update,

Was able to access the freebmd on ancestry today & view records, Yeah!!
I wasn't able to view the original record though. Have sent another email. Sigh!!

Cheers Peta

libbygirlxxx

hi there just type in ukbmd this site lets you check bmd for free and its really good i have had most of my infomation from there it lets you check all over uk or just staffordshire,cheshire,lancashire e.t.c
xxx

You have most likely found your Henry Healey Sanders marriage to Annie Gibson as I see that request was almost 4 years ago. But.... just in case, here it is from FreeBMD.org.uk

Free BMD
Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1918 (>99%)
Sanders Henry H Gibson Kettering 3b 465
Gibson Annie E Sanders Kettering 3b 465

Free BMD will stay free as long as it possibly can. It relies on interested people like us to take a turn transcribing. You just sign up and then you access some pages to transcribe. It's easy and you feel as if you're paying back a little. I only did about 100 pages but there were people who had done over 100,000!! Their generosity is pretty dazzling.

b00kie

Hi,
I was just on the free BMD site & it is still free! As volunteers are transcribing these records I don't think they would start charging for access. Appears AXXXXXXXX is "pulling your leg".
Happy hunting!
b00kie:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 FHUK General Chat Room 23
G FHUK General Chat Room 4
JeffAlvey Genealogy on the Internet 2
A FHUK General Chat Room 4
juliejtp FHUK General Chat Room 0
juliejtp Genealogy on the Internet 0