• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

From Durham back to Cornwall.

RJS

Have begun trying to trace back my paternal greatgrandmother. Was always told by my dad that she was from Cornwall. Unfortunately I can't ask him any more questions about her as he passed away last year. He had great affection for her and remembered boxes of fruit being delivered to his grandmothers house from family still in Cornwall. I would love to find out more about her family. She was called Elizabeth H (stands for Helena I think) Trenerry. She was born abt 1874 in Kea Cornwall. She had a brother William Gordon who my dad was named after and another brother Thomas H. They were born 1875 & 1872 respectively. I believe her parents were Thomas Tregoning Trenerry and Eliza Jane Datson, who married in 1871 but I can't go back any further. There are so many Trenerry's its unreal. I can only find the family in the 1881 census and it states the father is 'mining in America'. Don't know whether he ever came back or perhaps he abandoned them. Can't find them after that. Somehow greatgrandmother finds her way to the NE of England and marries great grandad James Matthews. They live after that in Trimdon Co. Durham.
If anyone can find them anywhere or tell me anything about the Tregoning/Trenerry connection I would be extremely grateful. Cheers everyone.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi RJS,

Was James Mathews a miner. I'm just curious, from tin mining to coal mining !!??
It could be why Gt.granny moved up to Trimdon (Colliery).

Tony Blair country as well.

Steve.:)

RJS

Hi Steve, yes James was a miner. But as far as we know he never went to Cornwall, although my dad did tell me his grandad got 'blacklegged' for landing a punch on an overman in his local colliery!' and then he travelled as far as Yorkshire looking for work as no other mines would employ him after that until several years later. :0) Rather a colouful family I think.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve, yes James was a miner. But as far as we know he never went to Cornwall, although my dad did tell me his grandad got 'blacklegged' for landing a punch on an overman in his local colliery!' and then he travelled as far as Yorkshire looking for work as no other mines would employ him after that until several years later. :0) Rather a colouful family I think.
:biggrin: :biggrin: He sounds my kind of guy, he didn't take no cr*p.

It is a long way from Cornwall to Durham, and would have been extremely difficult then, and would beg the question why such a journey.
As the tin mining in Cornwall was in steep decline around the 1860's I'm sure that was the reason America was attractive.

If you scroll down this link, to ex-pat miners, you may find a bit of a clue.
http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/mines.htm

Found this as well:- http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Kea/index.html

One sure fact, the Trenery's could be all related to you.:eek: :eek:

Good luck with your quest.

Steve.:)

Last edited:

leefer

Loyal Member
http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/free-search.php?fn=ELIZABETH&sn=Trenerry

Hi RJS..nice story..this link shows your Elizabeth,born 1874...and also i believe at the top her daughter,in Durham aged nine...interesting also to note another Trenery visiting from Australia...ime not a member of this site but if you join up it may be beneficial to you....apologies if you already know these details,regards Lee.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Birth regisgtration

District Falmouth
Apr/May/Jun 1/4

Thomas Tregoning Trennery

A possability for Thomas in 1861

Civil Parish Gwennap
RD Redruth
Sub RD Gwennap

Thos Tregoning head age 53 occ miller born Gwennap
Elizth wife age 53 born Gwennap Gwennap
Elizth Trenery dau age 28 born Gwennap
Thos Trennery g/son age 6 born Gwennap
Elizth Coleman servant
William Collett lodger
Henry Barnicott lodger

Marriage

District Redreuth
Apr/May/Jun 1/4

Elizabeth Tregoning, there is a John Trenery listed as well.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looks like Thomas in 1871

Civil parish Perranarworthal
RD Falmouth
Sub RD Mylor

Thomas Kendall head age 29 occ farmer
Elizabeth wife age 38 born Gwennap
Wm Hy son age 7
Mary l dau age 1
Thomas R son age 8mths