• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Funny memories.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Just had a chat, and this funny thought of my Dad came to mind.

My Dad owned an old 1963 Ford Consul. And as some of us can remember, the windscreen heaters/demisters were not usually the best in the world.

My dad had a small bath sponge to wipe away the mist from the inside of the windscreen when it got really bad, and the demister could not cope, especially on rainy days.

We were coming back from Slough, from a football match that my brother had been playing in. We won, by the way.

It was about an hour and half drive back home, and my dad was a careful driver (slow) and driving coaches an lorries was his job.

Anyway, we stopped at a transport cafe, to get a cuppa and something to munch on. While we were sitting in the cafe, the heavens opened and the rain was really heavy.
My dad, said "Come on boy, we'd best get going". So I swallowed my orange squash, and stuffed my scone in my gob, and off we went.

The car was misting up as usual, and and the heater was useless, so my dad reached under the dashboard to get his old bathsponge.
He grabbed it whilst concentrating on his driving(still slow) and then proceeded to wipe the screen.
He slammed on his brakes, and slew into the side of the road. I thought "What on earth............."!!!
I looked up and saw a big splurge of thick messy white stuff all down the inside of the windscreen.
It turned out that he had wiped the screen with the cream bun he had bought at the transport cafe.

It had totally obliterated his his vision of the road in front, hence the 'emergency stop'.
I wet myself laughing, along with my dad.

Steve.:)

gibbo

Loyal Member
My dad loved fishing and went any chance he got. But he always like someone to go with him. He sulked one day as there was no one available and to him fish was on the menu that night regardless. Anyway i felt sorry for the poor bloke so i said i would go and keep him company. We got there ok and out on the water have a great chin wag about things in general and the boat kept floating away from where we getting a good catch. There was a half dead tree out in the water and he had this bright idea of tying the boat to it while we fished. Well it was a bright idea until he got me to tie the rope to the tree. You see i have a fear of spiders and when i was tying the knot i looked up the tree and here were these HUGE ugly hairy spiders. Well all hell broke loose and i took off up to the other end of the boat knocking dad into the water in the process. A few choice swear words rang out over that water! He managed to get back into the boat and one look on his face told me i was in trouble but then he started laughing so much that we both nearly ended up in the drink. When a shower of rain went over us he recken he was that wet now that it was a waste of time going back to the camp so we stayed fishing for hours. We headed back to our camp when we had enough fish for the whole neighbourhood and while i packed the fish away dad was trying to put the boat onto the trailor. To this day i dont know how or what he did but the back of the car got a big dint in it from the boat. After that lot of choice words i wasnt game to ask! We arrived home wet, tired and laughing our heads off about what a great day it had been and then dad told me while washing the boat he had found a couple of big spiders in under the seat in the boat that i had been sitting on all day! I told mum about the spiders in the tree and said how big they were but dad reckons they were only little but to this day i swear those darn spiders were HUGE!!

gibbo

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
My dad also liked fishing. He had a scooter many years ago before going up market and getting a Robin Reliant. One day he was on his way home from fishing and he came across a red setter dog that looked lost and not knowing what to do he put the setter on the scooter with him and off they went . We didnt get to see the dog cause when dad stopped the setter ran off. A few days later there was a article in the newspaper about a lost red setter which seem to be from the area my dad had picked it up. Oops.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Janice may remember this.
Whilst on honeymoon in Portugal in 1974 with all the in-laws. I can't remember why.
The lads, that is, my father in law(Janice's dad) and 2 brothers-in-law went down to the beach for a swim.
The waves were a bit on the large size, so we thought better of it. So we decided to do a bit of body surfing, which would drive us up the beach.
So there we were, waiting for the right wave and then it appeared.
Off we went, heading for the beach and the wave was a bit larger than we had bargained for. We got tossed and tumbled onto the beach, and some of us got a good gulp of the Atlantic ocean. So coughing and spluttering we stood up, only to find that mine and my father-in-laws swimming trunks had disappeared of our torso's.
Now imagine two blokes fighting these waves in the pink, trying to retrieve our swim wear.
No fear of seagulls finding a perch.

Steve.:)