• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Gaining Names?

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I have a great Uncle Frederick Walton born 21 Jan 1872, on his baptism he was just Frederick and on his just received birth certificate he was just Frederick:(
On his wedding in 1880, Great Yarmouth he is shown as Frederick John Michael Waltono_O
So is this normal to gain middle names!
I believe these 2 people are one and the same person - even fathers name on marriage cert - even same area of London on 1881 census.
I'm just that little bit unsure:confused:

Peter

My father is recorded at birth in Southampton as George H Cooper but turns up in Australia post WW2 as George Henry Douglas Cooper. I think they just add what they liked for their own reasons.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I've come across this many times, but the worst is when they drop the first name, and use middle name.

My Grandfather was always called Eli,(middle name), according to my siblings, but his first name was Frederick. That was my first stumbling block when starting out Family History.

My 2x Granny was born Sarah Angelina Ruth Allen(birth cert. All other records just Ruth. Her baptism was 9 years after birth still with Ruth, and 6 or so miles away from her p.o.b.. Her p.o.b was also different from her birth cert to the census returns.

Steve.:)

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes I've also seen the same thing. My g g grandfather was baptised Stephen Abbott and when his son William John married he was Stephen Charles Jeremiah Abbott, who knows why?? Also on grandmother's birth certificate she is Sarah Eleanor Abbott but baptised Sarah Nellie Abbott!!

Amanda

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
My ancestor was Thomas John Roberts. Only his baptism and death cert note his full names. He never used his middle name on his 2 marriage records or gave a middle initial in censuses. It took me ages to trace him.