• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Gallagher Family

nathaniel1979

Adoption has crossed my mind.
Looked at Marys siblings as well as prov vic under adoption & wardship & nothing pops out

Have you checked orphanage records ect?

There was no official adoption back then so she might have given them to someone to raise as there own and no one would be any the wiser.

gibbo

Loyal Member
I worked it out to be Madeline Street. In Trove and googling it appears there was a hospital in that street but whether they were born in hospital or a private house i dont know yet. Will check it out more tomorrow.

edited to add.. If it was a hospital you could try and find out if any records survived. If it was a private house wonder if who lived there could be found and see if there is any connection between Mary and the tenants.

nathaniel1979

Good idea

i cant even work out what suburb it is..

I worked it out to be Madeline Street. In Trove and googling it appears there was a hospital in that street but whether they were born in hospital or a private house i dont know yet. Will check it out more tomorrow.

edited to add.. If it was a hospital you could try and find out if any records survived. If it was a private house wonder if who lived there could be found and see if there is any connection between Mary and the tenants.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Address on attachment

159 Madeline Street
Smith Ward
City of Melbourne
County of Burke

"A lot of birth certificates of babies born there appear to show that they were born in "Smith Ward". This causes a deal of confusion as it's not a ward of the hospital, but a municipal district of the city of Melbourne."

http://www.roosen.com.au/RoosenComAuWeb/Places/Lying-in_Hospital.html

So if Smith Ward is a district it still doesnt tell us if the girls were born at the hospital or a private residence in the same street.

edited.. I checked Trove out with that address and there seems to be a lot of places / rooms to rent in that erea. Im leaning toward that address as been a private residence.

Last edited:

nathaniel1979

Im leaning towards a private address as well.

Im leaning towards them being adopted out (finding out who might be next to impossible).

I could be wrong but i just realised the article of mary being assulted by Alberts former brother in law James in 1900 gives the indication only Alberts kids where present as well as the baby (dolores). Which begs the question where where Ethel & Louisa

gibbo

Loyal Member
I could be wrong but i just realised the article of mary being assulted by Alberts former brother in law James in 1900 gives the indication only Alberts kids where present as well as the baby (dolores). Which begs the question where where Ethel & Louisa
Yep only Dolores with her, the others were his kids.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Ok, i will post these as to how i read them so could be some minor spelling mistakes, not the easiest certificates to read.

Im beginning to think they are 2 births to 2 different mothers. To many differences between the 2 births. Mothers ages and places of birth for starters, i realise she could have lied but they are huge differences.

ETHEL

WHEN AND WHERE BORN; 17 April 1891, 35 Du?e Street, City Richmond, County Burke
NAME AND WHETHER PRESENT OR NOT; Ethel, not present
*** Female
NAME OF FATHER AND WHEN MARRIED; Not married
MOTHER'S DETAILS: Mary Gallagher, aged 23 Born Warrnambool Victoria
INFORMANT; A ? Brice?, Authorized agent, 38 Duke street, Richmond
WITNESS: Mrs Pendreigh
REGISTRATION DATE; 18 May 1891 Richmond
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOUISA

WHEN AND WHERE BORN; 3rd November 1892, 159 Madeline Street, Smith Ward, City of Melbourne, County Burke
NAME AND WHETHER PRESENT OR NOT; Louisa, Present.
*** Female
NAME OF FATHER AND WHEN MARRIED; [This section had been left blank]
MOTHER'S DETAILS; Mary Hewson formally Gallagher, aged 30, born Dublin Ireland
INFORMANT: Mary Hewson, Mother, Madeline Street Carlton
WITNESS: Mrs Goodier, Mrs Erskine
REGISTRATION DATE; 24 November 1892, Carlton

gibbo

Loyal Member
Dolores birth cert. would be interesting to see if any previous children are noted and what details Mary used for her own place of birth etc. it might help clear up whether Louisa is yours or not.

There is a chance that neither girl belongs to your Mary.

Last edited:

nathaniel1979

Just ordered dolores birth certificate. no siblings listed & mary is listed as being from wangaratta.

Am thinking dolores, ethel & louisa are all from the same mother despite one certificate saying she was from dublin.

With the surname Gallagher Highly likely marys parents where irish.

If mary had adopted them out isnt it likely its the reason they dont appear on her death certificate

gibbo

Loyal Member
If mary had adopted them out isnt it likely its the reason they dont appear on her death certificate
Mary certainly hasnt made it easy.

If the girls were given up thats probably why she hasnt noted them on further birth cert. I was really hoping something was on it to help. Tho im still having doubts of Louisa been hers??

What address is noted on Dolores cert. Birth address as well as Mary's address? Mary's age as well please.