• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

gamekeeper?

Hi everyone! I wonder if any one has any suggestions, my grandfather Charles Taylor, it was said was a gamekeeper for an estate outside Chester. He was born 1871 Kinnerton, Chester so I suppose it would have been when he was about 30 plus? making it around 1900. The estate was owned by the Salt family? He had all the equipment of a gamekeeper including a shotgun which was engraved as a present to him from the estate/family for service. But I can`t find any records of the estate, family in the area, or of him being a gamekeeper at all. All the documentation points to him as a farmer! It keeps nagging at me to try and prove it one way or the other. Does anyone know if there are any records for occupation as a gamekeeper, or is it something that is unlisted. I seem to recollect the name of Salt in connection with a factory or mill in the Manchester area if so they may well have had land in the Chester Cheshire district. Well! if anyone has any suggestions of a direction to go I would love to hear them. Thanks phil.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Braveheart 1881 Census Request 3