• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

GANDON family

Marion and Margaret with no reg but reg on either side.

Birth 2576/1874 GANDON ANDREW JOSEPH ANDREW JAMES MARY ANNE SYDNEY * 8 Sep 1874

Dave

Not a V = Volume record baptism so a late birth reg.

BIRTHS.
QAMDOIT.— IfOwniber 16, ather residence, Derwent-street,
Gleba, tha wife of W. Gandon. of a son.

Birth 7675/1884 GANDON ERNEST STEWART - WILLIAM MARGARET S - GLEBE

Some birth reg missing and not all children have birth notices.

Dave

I use ga* to catch gaudon.

Death 462/1893 GANDON JOSEPH - WILLIAM SARAH M S SYDNEY * 29 Mar 1893

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/113732630
Evening News (Sydney, NSW) - Thu 30 Mar 1893 p.6
Fatal Building Accident.
An inquest was held in Coroner's Court, Chancery Square, on Wednesday afternoon, relative to the death of the boy Joseph Gandon, who died on Tuesday afternoon shortly after being taken to the Sydney Hospital. According to the evidence, he was 14 years of age, and resided with his mother, who is a widow, at 25 Derwent-street, Glebe. He was employed as a messenger at the massive building in course of construction, at the corner of George-street and Martin-place, for the Equitable Life Assurance Society. ...

The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW) - Thu 5 Apr 1894 p.1
In Memoriam.
GANDON.-In loving remembrance of my dear husband, who died April 5, 1892, aged 57. Also Joseph, son of above, killed by fall from a building, March 28, 1893.

All the evidence points to the BDM index having the wrong date.

Dave

Age is way out but it's the right death.

RG10 Piece 320 Folio 31 Page 62
Civil Parish: Hackney
Ecclesiastical parish: West Hackney
County: Middlesex
Registration District: Hackney
Sub-RD: West Hackney
ED: 19
No of Schedule: 390
Address: 33 Benyon Rd
GANDON Jesse Head Mar M 53 Overseer East Cent. ? P O Brompton Middlesex
GANDON Mary Wife Mar F 55 Rochester Kent
GANDON Frederick Son Unm M 22 Brewer Clerk Dalston Middlesex
Small world, some of my lot were on Benyon Road in 1861 :D

Geoff

Actually took out insurance and claimed.

The Australian Star (Sydney, NSW) - Thu 6 Apr 1893 p.5
25 Derwent-street, Glebe,
5 April, 1893.
Secretary Citizens' Life Assurance Co., Ltd.
Dear Sir, —
I have to acknowledge, with sincere thanks, receipt of your cheque in settlement of claim arising through the death of my son Joseph Gandon, who was killed through falling from the building of the Equitable Life Assurance Co.
I was paying only a trifling amount weekly, and this was collected regularly, and the money now received from you will be of the greatest assistance to me.
MARGARET GANDON.

Actually took out insurance and claimed.

The Australian Star (Sydney, NSW) - Thu 6 Apr 1893 p.5
25 Derwent-street, Glebe,
5 April, 1893.
Secretary Citizens' Life Assurance Co., Ltd.
Dear Sir, —
I have to acknowledge, with sincere thanks, receipt of your cheque in settlement of claim arising through the death of my son Joseph Gandon, who was killed through falling from the building of the Equitable Life Assurance Co.
I was paying only a trifling amount weekly, and this was collected regularly, and the money now received from you will be of the greatest assistance to me.
MARGARET GANDON.
Nice piece of social history, Dave.. Apart from the family upset, interesting to see the the wheels of commerce in action, it's not something I would associate with that era, but it obviously happened.

Geoff

I bet it was on advice from her mother Catherine Agnes nee SWAN. Catherine died 1881 in Woollahra - now a very high class not middle class area - a very wealthy person - from her Will - I actually don't have a copy yet. The bequests to children

James - the bakers shop in Sussex st.
Margaret - 6x £20 fully paid up shares in Industrial & Provident Society.
Elizabeth - 6x £20 fully paid up shares in Industrial & Provident Society.
William - £300.
Jane - property 'Hope Cottage 2' in John St, Woollahra, NSW.
David - a property in Trickett St, Woollahra, NSW.
John Marshall - a property in Trickett St, Woollahra.
George Henry (my line) - property 'Hope Cottage No 1' in John St, Woollahra, NSW.

And I have not identified if any are still standing. Don't know if Woollahra council have rate notices on film for that time.

Dave

Whoever gave the advise, obviously very astute and wealthy to bequeath property and sums like that.

Be interesting to see the rest of the will.

Geoff

Don't know if Catherine Sands will is on any pay site. Otherwise I'd have to go way out west to Archives at Kingsford.

Dave

I have a 2-page transcript of Catherine's will with bits that could not be read omitted.

Died 24 Feb 1881. Living in one of the two houses in Trickett St.

Dave

Don't think much of the original is missing.

goods sworn £2700.

Dave
Catherine - will.JPG

Last edited:
Don't know if Catherine Sands will is on any pay site. Otherwise I'd have to go way out west to Archives at Kingsford.
Quite a lot of material re. Catherine on Anc, but a will/probate is limited to the Index to Deceased Estate Files. I don't have a full subs to FMP.

Geoff

Youngest son - George Henry - Grand Sec of GUOOF can't read the names at the bottom.

Second row from the bottom and fifth from the right.

Dave
SANDS G H-GUOOO.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Geoff.

There is even a memorial for G H in Hyde Park in Sydney.

Can't find it at the moment.

Dave

Back