• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Gay Ancestors

sue ault

Hi all,
For a year or two I have been conversing with another researcher on a mutal family ancestral name. He has just realised my other half is also female and yes he has decided he can no longer share or except infomation from me.
We all research our family history with the empthasis on family, but no one takes into consideration one if not some of our ancestors may have been gay.
Taking into account there has also been single parent families for years, and thankfully to be born out of wedlock now doesnt hold the social stigma as it did in the past. Families are made up differently now and yes it maybe harder for future generations to find their ancestors.
I have hetrosexaul married friends who really dont wish to fill in any new census, they feel its another way the goverment has personal info on them. I on the other hand have no problem puting all my info on a census including my sexualality which i am not ashamed of.
I am no different from any other researcher and feel a little hurt but i have to respect his point of view, which in this case wasnt mutal.
sorry if i have gone on but i have never had this happen to me where family history is concerned. :'(