• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Gen Sites Charging

It really annoys me where I search for certain family research say on google or others and find that I have to join or subscribe! Apart from this many of it is american!
Do not we as a UK taxpayer already own the information that these sites are selling to us! WHy is this!
Look forward to peoples comments! :blink:
Gerry
PS Thanks for the forum!

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi Gerry,

Not all web sites are free - like Family History UK! But I do understand why some site charge a small fee! For example, there are many costs associated with running a web site, not just hosting and web space, but the time and effort to put into it!
Though I do get annoyed with a few big web sites (I won\'t name them!), actually get people to upload all their own family history, and add ito their own databases and charge other people a subscription to search it!

The other thing is to get information onto the web which is not \"owned\" or is copyrighted. I have had one or two run ins with local County FHS, where I have transcribed information on a single name and have put it onto the web for others to access - only to be warned that the information is owned by the County/government.
My view - as yours, is that it is OUR information! OK If i was charging a fee to access it (like others), I could understand it - But I believe in free genealogy - It is OUR history!

Ok! I will stop ranting now! :rolleyes:
Admin :laugh:

becki

i can understand were you are all coming from im a single mum of 5 and i carnt belive how much theses sites are asking for. i have got much info off my family but im struggling , what gets me is they say its a free tril but you still got to put your credit card details in like yep i got one hahaha
anyway i with you ppl on this one great website :blink:

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Really Paul!! ;) No I partly agree with you (really) - No we cannot expect things to be free! I really do not have a problem with many web sites where they charge for access - even where the information is already ours (as such), for example the 1901 census! (Though I ensure I get the correct ones I need (by using a program) before I pay up!).

I do get annoyed with sites that charge for access for areas where normal people like you and me have innocently uploaded our gedcom. They also advertise heavily, want you to access other subscription areas and (as Becki says) want your credit card upfront!! Also a number of these sites are heavily linked, and most people do not realise they have gone onto another site.

By the way, thanks to both of you for your kind comments! Its appreciated!
:laugh:
admin