• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

general advice

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I was looking at the 'Introduce yourself' section this morning and wondered about creating a general information sticky or somesuch to get people started.
I know how difficult can be to get that initial push to get the correct info
Any ideas as to what it should contain!

peter

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Peter,

In my opinion there seems to be enough forum sections where new members can ask for help.

Introduction, Forum web site help, General Chat, Names, Places, Web site comments etc. etc.

It all depends if the member returns after making the initial posting/contact.

If the post is put in the wrong forum, we can, and usually do move it to the correct one. It does not get lost, but on occasions it does take a while for it to be moderated dependent on moderators being logged in.

Apart from going into their profile, and sending them an email direct(which we never do), there is not much else we can do.

But if you wish to add a thread, then go ahead....as every thing helps.:):)

Steve.:)

Hello

When I started researching my family tree online ten years ago there was probably no more than ten ‘FREE’ websites. Today I’m absolutely amazed at the resources available online ‘FREE’. (why didn’t I start ten years later). Apologies to the people who actually did the hard work before the internet.

I know there is “Genealogy on the Internet” (perhaps it’s under utilized). This “FREE” Australian website was only mentioned recently, yet it’s been a very popular site to the Aussies for the last two years. (Yes guilty not posting).
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Perhaps a forum section starting with “FREE” .......... would get the newcomers to check out the board. Free websites only, not the ones that you can search for free and then you have to pay to view. Also links on how to use “GOOGLE” to research your family may help. Another one to include in free is “TIPS”. Many of members would have great tips to share.

One rule is never to mention the paid sites that offer 14 days free.

Wouldn't hurt for more 'forum sections'

Sorry if i've upset the mods. Please don't give me a red flag.

cheers
crankypants

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi CP,
Why would your suggestions upset the mods?:confused: Didnt upset me none:)

The way i look at it is that we all help each other out and to me that includes ideas and suggestions on how we [as in all members] can do this for new members as well as old. Not all suggestions come about but throwing ideas around is one way to find out what members would like. Dont ever be worried about making suggestions.

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think a list of free genealogy websites is a good idea. CP I wasnt upset by your post :). Ancestry and Findymypast are already advertised under forum advertisments, so no worry there.